Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

UPTHEPORT wrote:Hypothetical question

If say the government gave everyone a pill to hibernate for say 2 months would the virus go away or would it lay dormant
Purely theoretically, anyone already infected when they go into hibernation will have the virus replication factory working overtime in the body's cells. What kills the virus is disruption of its lipid coat and its presence in an environment unsuited to its survival (e.g. high UVC). When present in the human body the virus is where it wants to be. So, I'd say it would likely just put the virus "to sleep" too (maybe just slow it down), and then when you woke up so the virus would replicate again.

This scenario happens with hibernating bats infected with rabies. The rabies "hibernates" too and then resurfaces when the infected bats come out of hibernation.

NearlyDead wrote:

If say the government gave everyone a pill to hibernate for say 2 months would the virus go away or would it lay dormant
Purely theoretically, anyone already infected when they go into hibernation will have the virus replication factory working overtime in the body's cells. What kills the virus is disruption of its lipid coat and its presence in an environment unsuited to its survival (e.g. high UVC). When present in the human body the virus is where it wants to be. So, I'd say it would likely just put the virus "to sleep" too (maybe just slow it down), and then when you woke up so the virus would replicate again.

This scenario happens with hibernating bats infected with rabies. The rabies "hibernates" too and then resurfaces when the infected bats come out of hibernation.
But if you self isolated then you should get rid of the virus so wouldn't the Same happen

Anyway will the flu season be better this year because of better hygiene and masks etc

I've noticed in work on wards sickness bugs are down a lot (D&V)

UPTHEPORT wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:

But if you self isolated then you should get rid of the virus so wouldn't the Same happen

Anyway will the flu season be better this year because of better hygiene and masks etc

I've noticed in work on wards sickness bugs are down a lot (D&V)
If you can be certain that anyone who goes into hibernation is virus free and that anyone not in hibernation and looking after the hibernators is also virus free... except then you'd know no one had the virus and so there'd be no need to put anyone in hibernation in the first place.

Otherwise the virus will, like rabies in bats, likely hibernate with the host, ready to resume its push for world domination on the host reawakening.

Self-isolation is about minimising the chance of getting infected. Self-isolation won't get rid of the virus unless you take isolation to the absolute extreme with everybody.

Hypothetically, if everyone went around in Hazmat suits and SCBA and you regularly went through a far-UVC decontamination, that would do for the virus in a matter of weeks.

Except, we still don't know the original or intermediate host of the SARS-Cov-2 virus before it became able to cross into humans. It's sat therein now, waiting to resurface, given the opportunity. And we know the virus is in the captured mink population (and possibly already in feral mink as well), and will relatively easily transfer to other mustelids (like weasels, ferrets, badgers, otters...) if we or escaped mink give it (or have already given it) to them. And there's some limited evidence that cats and dogs can be infected with SARS-Cov-2, though whether they can retransmit it to humans (as mink can) is currently unknown

I think I have changed my view on this one.

News today that Aneurin Bevan Health Board has suspended Outpatients and will do only emergency surgery procedures from Monday due to pressure on its services because of Covid. The First Minister has said that the NHS in Wales could become a national Covid service. It is that serious at the moment. Newport is one of the most affected areas.

We have to stop it being transmitted. It is up to all of us. I’m 65 and have been extremely lucky so far in not catching it. I don’t want to give it to anyone else either obviously but the personal side to that is another story. Too close for me.

Pembrokeshire has seen a massive rise in cases with new cases every day. It is terrible.

We are so close to a vaccine being effective and we are seeing cases climb significantly. Going to a football match in Newport at the moment even if it is in a controlled environment seems foolish now.
The clincher for me was just seeing Professor Sarah Gilbert who invented the Oxford vaccine saying on the news that she was worried about the roll out of the vaccine and its effectiveness because staff would be busy treating patients. Enough.

My mate is 62 and is severely asthmatic. He has been so careful to minimise the risk of infection. On Friday his wife was told to isolate as on Thursday she'd been exposed to someone who'd tested positive.

Initially that'd be regarded as bad luck. But the person who'd tested positive had been waiting three days for their test results.

This selfish idiot's actions could cost my mate his life.

JonD wrote:My mate is 62 and is severely asthmatic. He has been so careful to minimise the risk of infection. On Friday his wife was told to isolate as on Thursday she'd been exposed to someone who'd tested positive.

Initially that'd be regarded as bad luck. But the person who'd tested positive had been waiting three days for their test results.

Jon, do you mind me asking what age group the idiot is in?

pembsexile wrote:I think I have changed my view on this one.

News today that Aneurin Bevan Health Board has suspended Outpatients and will do only emergency surgery procedures from Monday due to pressure on its services because of Covid. The First Minister has said that the NHS in Wales could become a national Covid service. It is that serious at the moment. Newport is one of the most affected areas.

We have to stop it being transmitted. It is up to all of us. I’m 65 and have been extremely lucky so far in not catching it. I don’t want to give it to anyone else either obviously but the personal side to that is another story. Too close for me.

Pembrokeshire has seen a massive rise in cases with new cases every day. It is terrible.

We are so close to a vaccine being effective and we are seeing cases climb significantly. Going to a football match in Newport at the moment even if it is in a controlled environment seems foolish now.
The clincher for me was just seeing Professor Sarah Gilbert who invented the Oxford vaccine saying on the news that she was worried about the roll out of the vaccine and its effectiveness because staff would be busy treating patients. Enough.
Morning Mike,

If you look at the early posts in this thread you will see I too have changed my mind. It's what intelligent people do as more facts become available.

Always sticking rigidly to a viewpoint and never being able to develop thinking is a sign of weakness, not strength.

whoareya wrote:
JonD wrote:My mate is 62 and is severely asthmatic. He has been so careful to minimise the risk of infection. On Friday his wife was told to isolate as on Thursday she'd been exposed to someone who'd tested positive.

Jon, do you mind me asking what age group the idiot is in?
Late twenties.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Morning Mike,

If you look at the early posts in this thread you will see I too have changed my mind. It's what intelligent people do as more facts become available.

Always sticking rigidly to a viewpoint and never being able to develop thinking is a sign of weakness, not strength.
So I'm officially intelligent then. Thanks Brendan.

Blackandamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Morning Mike,

So I'm officially intelligent then. Thanks Brendan.
And strong. :grin: