Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Percy plunkett wrote:
JonD wrote:It might appear morbid but I'd very much like to see a breakdown of deaths (age/pre-existing conditions etc).

Is this sort of information available, does anyone know?
They won’t do that as it would weaken the case for lockdowns and their desire to control and frighten us.There was a report that stated only 10% of deaths were directly attributed to this new virus,this report has since been removed.
Probably because it was a load of shite.

Percy In Ireland we went into lockdown two week before the UK in the spring and two weeks before the UK now in the autumn. There are less than 1900 dead here. (Still a tragedy) but allowing for the UK having a population twelve times higher, had you locked down when we did 25,000 fewer of you would now be dead.

So Percy just answer my question. How many Brits are you prepared to stiff so that you can go to the footie?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
JonD wrote:It might appear morbid but I'd very much like to see a breakdown of deaths (age/pre-existing conditions etc).

They won’t do that as it would weaken the case for lockdowns and their desire to control and frighten us.There was a report that stated only 10% of deaths were directly attributed to this new virus,this report has since been removed.
Probably because it was a load of shite.

Percy In Ireland we went into lockdown two week before the UK in the spring and two weeks before the UK now in the autumn. There are less than 1900 dead here. (Still a tragedy) but allowing for the UK having a population twelve times higher, had you locked down when we did 25,000 fewer of you would now be dead.

So Percy just answer my question. How many Brits are you prepared to stiff so that you can go to the footie?
Whilst your comparison between the UK and Ireland is undoubtedly relevant, and I agree that earlier lockdowns would probably have reduced the death toils here significantly; what it doesn't take into account is the comparative levels of compliance between the two nations. It is my view that the single biggest reason behind the recent rapid increase in positive cases and deaths is the increasing number of selfish, ignorant and negligent people not complying to the basic rules of hygiene and social distancing. But how do you measure such relative compliance?

Brendan,you know as well as I why there are so many deaths.The government didn’t protect NHS staff and patients,they failed to protect care home residents,they reopened pubs,they allowed flights in and out of the UK,and without proper security checks.Nothing to do with me and 200000 others,including many on this forum,who wanted to stand in the open air to support my team.I continue to help save lives by socially distancing,care with personal hygiene and helping my community to keep the rats at bay by continuing to collect recycling everyday off the streets.

Percy plunkett wrote:Brendan,you know as well as I why there are so many deaths.The government didn’t protect NHS staff and patients,they failed to protect care home residents,they reopened pubs,they allowed flights in and out of the UK,and without proper security checks.Nothing to do with me and 200000 others,including many on this forum,who wanted to stand in the open air to support my team.I continue to help save lives by socially distancing,care with personal hygiene and helping my community to keep the rats at bay by continuing to collect recycling everyday off the streets.
Please don't tell me what I know or think.

I think that has a per capita death rate twice that of Ireland is because Boris the Idiot being a populist panders to other idiots who will believe half baked ideas such as only 10% of Covid deaths are caused by Covid, that the Barrington Group were credible. Need I go on?

Covid kills. It is a virus spread by person to person contact. Any human contact will allow the virus to propagate. Now I accept a full lockdown is impossible. We have to eat, we have to heat our homes. This means that the virus will spread and people will die. However a balance has to be struck. I don't believe going to pubs or football matches is something which is necessary. Therefore though I miss going out it is a sacrifice I am prepared to make.

So Percy again. If you allow people to congregate for football matches people will die as a result who otherwise would not have died. You seem to be having a problem answering a simple question. How many people are you prepared to have die so you can watch a football match?

Percy plunkett wrote:

According to ONS,the average age for deaths from Covid in England and Wales is 82.4.This was an official document published in June.
Two points Percy.

First of all you don't understand statistics. The average person has 1.9999789 legs. This is because most people have two legs some have one some have none. Deaths in people over 90 are so high that they skew up the average age. You really need to understand mean, mode and median. You clearly don't.

If you examine the Covid figures produced by the ONS you will see that statistically under the age of 50 people are very safe. But there is a serious rise in mortality at 50 to 65 and above the age of 65 the virus is a really destructive force

So under the age of 50 Covid is not a problem. 50 to 65 it is a problem. 65 to 90 a very serious problem and 90+ the prognosis is grim.

Actually I am being unfair. Many under 50's have a problem because they don't think letting older people die is very nice.

So again Percy how many people on this board who are over the age of 50 are you prepared to have die so you can get your footie fix? I'll be 63 next week, Frank and Bob Bassett are also f@cked, Rebok too come to think of it. Are our lives less important than your going to the football?

Percy you are to be pitied.

I am 60 and clinically obese,I don’t smoke,I only drink medicinally,I try to eat as healthy as possible,I avoid fatty foods.I get healthy exercise from my profession and my volunteer collecting of recycling.I have always put personal hygiene high in my life,I have always kept away from people with coughs and colds long before this pandemic.If you at 63 consider yourself too frail to go to football matches,that is for you to decide as it is for Harps and anyone else you have mentioned.We live in a democracy,if I want to,as you put,risk my life,that is for me to decide not you.The precautions I take will not risk my life or anyone else’s by standing alone in the open air.If you have a problem,try writing to Boris rather than stalking me.

Stan is right as to how the figures are skewed by the advanced age of many of those killed by this virus and that those who misunderstand the statistics may falsely consider themselves safe.
As an example , I am a prime potential victim being in my 70’s with chronic conditions and that is why I am trying to lie extremely low and will not attend football matches for some time even if I’m allowed to. That doesn’t mean those younger are safe though, I have lost a friend and a relative both in their fifties and have read many cases of much younger people than that who while pre-Covid were apparently fit have died or been subject to distressing long term impairment.
We are all free to assess our own risk but it really is difficult, nay impossible to be assured of one’s safety from this worrying virus. I’m hanging on to my books and my garden until better therapeutics and an effective vaccine. I’m not envious of those who through necessity have to brave prolonged social engagement with the community, I certainly wouldn’t risk it for a leisure activity though I’m aware some may not enjoy such pleasant circumstances.

Percy plunkett wrote:I am 60 and clinically obese,I don’t smoke,I only drink medicinally,I try to eat as healthy as possible,I avoid fatty foods.I get healthy exercise from my profession and my volunteer collecting of recycling.I have always put personal hygiene high in my life,I have always kept away from people with coughs and colds long before this pandemic.If you at 63 consider yourself too frail to go to football matches,that is for you to decide as it is for Harps and anyone else you have mentioned.We live in a democracy,if I want to,as you put,risk my life,that is for me to decide not you.The precautions I take will not risk my life or anyone else’s by standing alone in the open air.If you have a problem,try writing to Boris rather than stalking me.
I'm not stalking you.

You are airing opinions on a public platform. If you choose to do that then I'm afraid being challenged on those opinions is something that you can't avoid. So please stop being so pathetic.

I don't consider myself too frail to go to football. Indeed I have taken a job as a front line worker. If you bothered to read my arguments you would be aware why I take the views I do. However allowing for your inability to understand I will explain one final time.

All human contact has the propensity to spread the virus. I take the view that any contact which is purely for entertainment will cause unnecessary deaths. This might surprise you but I miss going to football, concerts, pubs, restaurants and cinema. I do get that. As a libertarian I am completely of the view that I should be able to do as I choose with my life. And if I take chances with my life then it's my life. But there are many things I am not entitled to do. I can't drink and drive. Not because I might kill myself but because I might kill someone else. I choose not to go to social events not because might be infected but because I might infect someone else.

I am sorry that such a simple concept appears to be beyond your intellect.

whoareya wrote:I do not wish to offend anyone on what is a very sensitive subject, but this pandemic will inevitably lead to debate regarding society's expectations for mortality and longevity of life.

Everyone seems to want to live forever, but no one seems to want to pay for it.
2,000 a rabbi in Roman controlled Judea made a simple observation. He said the Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for for the Sabbath. Today we have a new religion. It is the Economy, which it seems is now all powerful. Which does of course beg a simple question. Does the Economy exist to serve people, or are we in existence merely to serve the Economy?