Re: Dragons consider new pitch

Almost certainly yes. There are separate artificial pitches at Ystrad for football and rugby. I don't think that shared artificial pitches work. Indeed a rugby 3g pitch is different from a football one because it has a built in rugby pad to reduce injuries. So even if County dropped into non-league, we would n't be able to share with the Dragons if RP went artificial.

G Guest wrote:Almost certainly yes. There are separate artificial pitches at Ystrad for football and rugby. I don't think that shared artificial pitches work. Indeed a rugby 3g pitch is different from a football one because it has a built in rugby pad to reduce injuries. So even if County dropped into non-league, we would n't be able to share with the Dragons if RP went artificial.
Also pitch markings would be difficult. It would end up looking like the old school gym floor.

G Guest wrote:Almost certainly yes. There are separate artificial pitches at Ystrad for football and rugby. I don't think that shared artificial pitches work. Indeed a rugby 3g pitch is different from a football one because it has a built in rugby pad to reduce injuries. So even if County dropped into non-league, we would n't be able to share with the Dragons if RP went artificial.

That's correct there are separate pitches up there I've refed on the football pitch and that one still gets called off for waterlogged pitch unbelievable

I hate the 3g surfaces football is a different game on them dreadful

UPTHEPORT wrote:
halfmoon wrote:Just do what Spurs do at their new stadium for NFL: wheel out a grass pitch for the football and have an artificial one rise up from underground for the rugby. We have the cash for that, right?
That's a fantastic idea
If they built a stadium on the old Sainsburys' site it could wheel out over the river on girders? :lol:

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
halfmoon wrote:Just do what Spurs do at their new stadium for NFL: wheel out a grass pitch for the football and have an artificial one rise up from underground for the rugby. We have the cash for that, right?
That's a fantastic idea
If they built a stadium on the old Sainsburys' site it could wheel out over the river on girders? :lol:
Now there's a thought :shock:

Willthiswork wrote:
Also pitch markings would be difficult. It would end up looking like the old school gym floor.
I'm told that you can mark a 3G pitch out with temporary markings and change them as necessary for different sports. I've never seen it but I guess it wouldn't be much more work than is necessary for the grass pitch now.

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
That's a fantastic idea
Sounds far fetched to me. It needs more thought. If they were going to put girders across the Usk at that point, surely they could go the whole hog and construct a dam as well. Put a road across it and connect it to the southern relief road. That way, they could develop a marina at the site. The reclaimed land at the site would ensure enough space is available (Sainsbury’s site) for the stadium to be built. Simples.

Got to stop this now, it’s starting to sound feasible (not). This is Newport after all.