Re: Dragons consider new pitch

The pitch laid in 2017 just about survived its first 2 seasons albeit cutting up badly post Xmas. This season has been a season too far for it, really is dreadful for both rugby and football. Guess the wet winter we've had hasn't helped. Mind you the WRU clearly don't give a sh*t as they book out the pitch at every opportunity.

I genuinely wonder whether people actually reflect on articles before commenting.

Dragons director of rugby is against the adoption of an artificial pitch. Which would tend to suggest that there are those who are in favour of such a solution.

My view is that whatever the outcome Newport County will have no say in the matter and I find that worrying.

Is there a difference between the desso/grass pitch at the liberty stadium and the relaid pitch at Rodney parade?

If so then I would have thought that the parade should have been relaid as per the liberty stadium.
The liberty stadium doesn’t seem to cut up and become a mud bath (admittedly with one less rugby side)

Yes the pitches at RP and the Liberty are different versions of the hybrid principle. I believe that RP's Desso Playmaster pitch is the only one in the UK. All the other Dessos in Britain are Desso Grassmaster pitches. With the Grassmaster the plastic blades are injected during the laying of the pitch and the grass roots are able to grip the plastic as they grow. With the Playmaster, the plastic is already included in the "mat" on top of which the topsoil is laid. It is worth bearing in mind that Desso started as a carpet manufacturer. This gives you an idea of the technology that they employ. It certainly looks like we have the inferior version. In defence of the RP pitch we no longer get the large puddles of standing water that we used to.

G Guest wrote:Yes the pitches at RP and the Liberty are different versions of the hybrid principle. I believe that RP's Desso Playmaster pitch is the only one in the UK. All the other Dessos in Britain are Desso Grassmaster pitches. With the Grassmaster the plastic blades are injected during the laying of the pitch and the grass roots are able to grip the plastic as they grow. With the Playmaster, the plastic is already included in the "mat" on top of which the topsoil is laid. It is worth bearing in mind that Desso started as a carpet manufacturer. This gives you an idea of the technology that they employ. It certainly looks like we have the inferior version. In defence of the RP pitch we no longer get the large puddles of standing water that we used to.
Would you have any idea of the different costs between each type of pitch you describe?
I'm led to believe that the use of grow lamps on pitches such as the 'Liberty' also have a beneficial affect on the quality of the surface due to it encouraging grass growth at any time of the year?

I don't know the relative costs. I suspect that the Playmaster is cheaper because millions of plastic grass blades do not have to be injected individually and more of the pitch is made in the factory.

I have seen lamps on mobile carriages in use at the Liberty Stadium. I understand this is necessary to give enough light to the natural grass in the pitch. The millions of plastic grass blades shade the natural grass from the sunlight which is replaced artificially. These carriages are unmanned and just roam around seemingly randomly back and fore over the pitch.This is not necessary with the Playmaster pitch because the artificial element of the pitch is buried and does not interfere with grass growth.This must increase maintenance costs.

G Guest wrote:I don't know the relative costs. I suspect that the Playmaster is cheaper because millions of plastic grass blades do not have to be injected individually and more of the pitch is made in the factory.

I have seen lamps on mobile carriages in use at the Liberty Stadium. I understand this is necessary to give enough light to the natural grass in the pitch. The millions of plastic grass blades shade the natural grass from the sunlight which is replaced artificially. These carriages are unmanned and just roam around seemingly randomly back and fore over the pitch.This is not necessary with the Playmaster pitch because the artificial element of the pitch is buried and does not interfere with grass growth.This must increase maintenance costs.
Thanks for that info.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I watched the (excellent) Shane Williams documentary on concussion and there was footage of the Dragons training on an artificial pitch. Was that Ystrad Mynach?
Yes it was. I note than Dean Ryan , Dragons coach, is very much against the concept of installing an artificial pitch at RP, and appears to be in favour of a pitch upgrade from the present one, and the need to take into account the revenue generated from other teams using the pitch.