Re: GAME OFF

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Brendan a referee makes a pitch inspection in his mind is that surface is playable at that time or not.

Now hour and whatever it was later the ref inspects pitch again and decided it wasn't fit at that moment in time obviously the temperature had dropped
Incorrect.
Fair enough for the Ref to call it off but the temperature did not drop below 3 degrees all evening

You had your thermometer with you pitch side? It was bloody cold. You also said the cabbage patch wasn’t frosty yet many others, myself included, agreed it was when we walked across it.

If the game was to be played on the Cabbage patch it would of gone on 100% as it has thick grass all over it.
The game got called off due to 10% of the pitch being a bit iffy.
By the changing rooms where the least sun if any gets to it.
Regarding temperature it felt colder Saturday, I didn't even put my gloves on walking in.
Temp in my car was 3 degrees when I arrived 3 when I left and 4 by the time I got home.
Its been a very quiet news day today so really only thing to have a bit of correspondence about.
Interestingly myself and Mrs Nouble decided to do the Park run from the Riverside Saturday morning but it was cancelled as the pavements were deemed dangerous.
Game went on Saturday still though.
Clearly pavements are not the same as grass/sand or mud.
Its history anyway, everybody who made the effort was pissed off on the night but somebody could of got hurt.
Safe than sorry.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Not a saying but two sided insults don't make it right.
Like I said its history.
It wasn't freezing but the ref called it as dangerous.
With possibly cold weather for a good few months, its a fact that if we get down to just a few degrees every game will be called off.
Pitch getting worse every game played on it.
Reckon by Mid Feb no grass left in places
Has The fail gone back into retirement now that you are back then?
So you read back through the thread, see it was your BFF who started throwing insults around, yet still choose to single me out as opposed to him? Were you a bully at school or something?

Stan is also a bully of sorts. He appears to think a law degree makes him intellectually superior to other Newport County fans (would he be this odious on a law society forum?), yet the reality is that he is actually pretty thick and bullies people to cover it up.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:If the game was to be played on the Cabbage patch it would of gone on 100% as it has thick grass all over it.
The game got called off due to 10% of the pitch being a bit iffy.
By the changing rooms where the least sun if any gets to it.
Regarding temperature it felt colder Saturday, I didn't even put my gloves on walking in.
Temp in my car was 3 degrees when I arrived 3 when I left and 4 by the time I got home.
Its been a very quiet news day today so really only thing to have a bit of correspondence about.
Interestingly myself and Mrs Nouble decided to do the Park run from the Riverside Saturday morning but it was cancelled as the pavements were deemed dangerous.
Game went on Saturday still though.
Clearly pavements are not the same as grass/sand or mud.
Its history anyway, everybody who made the effort was pissed off on the night but somebody could of got hurt.
Safe than sorry.

Frank, the cabbage patch was solid. There was no way any football could have been played on that.
Anyhoo, it’s gone, the referee who no doubt has performed many a pitch inspection in his career felt it was playable at 5 but then deemed it dangerous to play on at 6:30 and I had a wasted journey from Merthyr but that’s life.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 24th, 2020, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rncfc wrote:
So now you're saying the club statement was a lie? Interesting. Just get over it man, a game was called off in the middle of winter - woopdy doo.
By adding 'interesting' you change the context to a clear implication that I have accused the club of lying.

'..get over it man,....'. '-woopdy do'. I have to so that you are one who started the insults.

In any event the pretext of your question is utterly without foundation. So to point out that you are not capable of logical thought is accurate.

Like a fair few others, like to dish it out but can't take it. There, there little fella, I'm sure mummy will kiss it better, those big boys are such bullies. :lol:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:
So now you're saying the club statement was a lie? Interesting. Just get over it man, a game was called off in the middle of winter - woopdy doo.
By adding 'interesting' you change the context to a clear implication that I have accused the club of lying.

'..get over it man,....'. '-woopdy do'. I have to so that you are one who started the insults.

In any event the pretext of your question is utterly without foundation. So to point out that you are not capable of logical thought is accurate.

Like a fair few others, like to dish it out but can't take it. There, there little fella, I'm sure mummy will kiss it better, those big boys are such bullies. :lol:
You think you're so much better than other Newport supporters. You like to tell this "boy from Bettws done good" story, but the fact is that you're not particularly intelligent, and resort to stuff like that regularly to try and squirm your way out of a hole.

The irony of being told I cannot apply logic by someone who continually tells us we should have built our own ground, but without actually presenting any thoughts as to how it would have been paid for, is not lost on me.

I really have a strong dislike for you, and if I see you at a game I would be strongly tempted to tell you as much to your face.

rncfc wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:

You think you're so much better than other Newport supporters. You like to tell this "boy from Bettws done good" story, but the fact is that you're not particularly intelligent, and resort to stuff like that regularly to try and squirm your way out of a hole.

The irony of being told I cannot apply logic by someone who continually tells us we should have built our own ground, but without actually presenting any thoughts as to how it would have been paid for, is not lost on me.

I really have a strong dislike for you, and if I see you at a game I would be strongly tempted to tell you as much to your face.
Great.

Next time I'm over for a game I'll PM you and we can meet beforehand and you can say anything you like. And to show you I have no hard feelings I'll even buy you a pint.

My name's Brendan by the way.

You’ll be waiting then rncfc seeing as Brendan’s not going to pay to watch us whilst Flynn, Kevin and Foxhall remain at the club.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 24th, 2020, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:

As I said before Newgroundrodney, Stan is ' a mean spirited' man.

Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
rncfc wrote:

As I said before Newgroundrodney, Stan is ' a mean spirited' man.
Now here's the problem.
I believe Newgroundrodney has met him face to face like myself.
Can I assume you have not.

It doesn't matter what the air temperature was last Tuesday. It's the ground temperature that matters. As I've said in an earlier post the ground temperature changes more slowly than the air temperature. It is possible that the ground was still cooling if the air temp had been low in the days before the game. So maybe the ground only became frozen after 6pm. Also the air temperature measured by a car thermometer or given by the met office is likely to be different to that in the corner of the pitch in which the sun hardly ever shines.

Stan has met Amber Exile in person, and look at how he speaks to him; like something he's found on the bottom of his shoe.

I'll pass on your offer thanks, Brendan. With a big family and little time on my hands, I prefer to spend time in a pub with people I actually like. If I walked into a pub populated by people like you I'd most likely think "this place is full of pricks", and leave immediately.

I like to watch now, more than participate (football and this board!), and I've been watching this thread with 'interest'.

So, sorry it's a long one. I fully understand why people won't get any further than this point. But there are a lot of issues here, not least with obvious personal animosities raising their ugly heads and perhaps colouring judgements because of factional affiliations.

Apart from the good this thread did in relaying the fact that the game was called off, this thread epitomises all that is wrong with social media type things: it's a sort of web version of Chinese whispers on steroids, where baseless assertions are picked up by some (who probably will never know any better) and moulded or reiterated as incontrovertible facts.

First, the only person who can call off a game is a referee. It has nothing to do with the club, or the ground staff. So people who blamed the club (and there were some, if not on here then on other SM platforms) are just plain ignorant, not least because the club doesn't own the ground or get it ready for match days.

The facts of the situation are clear, as made clear in the respective press releases of the two clubs. Yes, in these times of instant/rolling news, it might have been better if, at the time the match was called off, the media had put out the respective managers' comments on the decision, rather than waiting for official press releases the following day (but it was the MM Cup after all). I think the Argus should have been aware of this when they ran their "social media storm" piece early that evening, where it seemed almost all the selected commenters were blaming the club for the postponement. But that's another matter, and it was by the multi-media team, not the football people (a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, or just not caring?). Having said that, the Argus did do a good piece with photograph showing a clearly frozen surface behind the goal (astroturf not grass though). Ipso facto, since ice melts at zero, the ground temperature (in parts at least) was at or below freezing, despite some people's assertions that it can't have been.

For the game to have been called off early, i.e. before Leicester and their supporters set off, it would have to have been called off around midday. That would have been a difficult/impossible call seeing as the weather forecast was generally a warming through the afternoon.

The ref inspected at 5. It was OK. It was officially safe for players and playable.

Unless one has incontrovertible evidence that the referee failed in their duty in some respect at the 5 o'clock inspection, then it is remiss (that's me putting it kindly) to characterise them as incompetent/failing in their duty (which is the safety of players)/some other blame-the-ref meme. Pitch inspections by referees (certainly at our level) do not involve cursory glances. They generally involve donning boots and using a ball, and visiting all parts of the playing surface (and non-playing surfaces if ground conditions warrant it).

It's quite conceivable that at 5 the very top surface had begun to defrost/was defrosted and took some sort of stud yet the ground at greater depth still to be frozen solid. It might have been preferable to have the frost covers put back on after the initial inspection, to be on the safe side, but the pitch has to be prepared and so it might not be possible to have done so given the 2-hour time frame to KO.

It is also conceivable that given the low sun this time of year, the enclosed nature of this (and most) football grounds meaning solar access is limited, and the fact that it had been subzero a lot of the time between Saturday and Tuesday (especially in sheltered spots) that frost had penetrated an inch or two down and at that an hour or so after the sun had gone down the top surface had begun to refreeze because of conditions below the superficial level and the microclimate in the ground (for which a general weather forecast will not take account of) -- see the Argus photo linked above -- meaning the ground temperature was now at zero or below and then had difficulty taking a stud at ~6:30-ish.

Hence it being called off late. Nothing to do with the club, and outside the referee's control. Just the bloody winter weather!

Questions of the ground staff might be warranted though, in terms of whether the frost covers were taken off too early (but they have to be off for the inspection, and it passed inspection), not put back on when they could/should have been (but as noted, they have to prepare the ground, and they can't do that with the covers on), and whether the covers are adequate and to what temperature they are effective. They've clearly been effective before (we've had frost and played in temperatures close to zero most winters we've been at RP), so without additional info I presume they are generally suitable for something like down to –4C-ish. Did something go wrong or was it just the weather?

Perhaps we should have done what Altrincham once did, and driven cars onto the frozen parts and left them running to thaw the pitch.

And on the subject of cars, to those who say 'but my car's temperature readout said it was above freezing' I ask:

1. Where is the temperature sensor located on your car?

2. Is it picking up heat from within your engine compartment? (Possibly, depending on its location.)

3. Is it picking up re-radiated heat from the road surface? Most likely it will be. Large parts of the road surface will have been absorbing heat during the day and then they re-radiate it at night, and so the thermistor will perceive the 'road temperature', which will actually be warmer than the actual air temperature. This may indeed be among the reasons why the frost symbol appears in my dash readout once the thermistor output 'detects a temperature' of 4C. It might be an indication to expect frozen surfaces when the sensor is reading out a temperature above zero.

And don't think they are anything like accurate until you've done 3 or 4 miles (which might not be applicable in this case, of course).