Re: Grandstand - Swindon at a muddy Rodney Parade

It's squad game.I never said put them all in next game,I said I prefer them to bringing in journeymen.I have never seen Gorman play but,he can't get in the Orient squad so at best will be vying with Dolan to warm the bench.Far more productive to give Dom that opportunity.Waters plays wide or up front like Lewis who is now down the pecking order when he should be getting his chance.Woodiwiss looks too small to be a CB but,has good skills so he could be a useful DM player.Unfortunately,we may never know because journeymen are pushing him down the order.

I think the question is have Baker , Green , Waters and Gorman improved the squad, an unequivocal yes for me.

So many times in football we hear supporters of a team bereft of confidence urge the manager to ‘play the kids ‘ they rarely do and it’s no wonder when their job’s on the line. A small section of our supporters turned their backs on Flynn after his first bad run in 3 years, he’s hardly going to turn to 3 teenagers and expect patience is he.

Percy plunkett wrote:It's squad game.I never said put them all in next game,I said I prefer them to bringing in journeymen.I have never seen Gorman play but,he can't get in the Orient squad so at best will be vying with Dolan to warm the bench.Far more productive to give Dom that opportunity.Waters plays wide or up front like Lewis who is now down the pecking order when he should be getting his chance.Woodiwiss looks too small to be a CB but,has good skills so he could be a useful DM player.Unfortunately,we may never know because journeymen are pushing him down the order.
They're 17. They've not physically matured yet, never mind mentally. There's a huge step up from academy/EFL Trophy football and actual league games. If they're good enough, their chance will come.

In fact with Collins, I'd rather he go out to Bath or Chippenham. Somewhere local so he can keep training with us, but fighting for 90 minutes each week. If he's ready for more game time here, he should be more than comfortable at that level.

DT1892 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:It's squad game.I never said put them all in next game,I said I prefer them to bringing in journeymen.I have never seen Gorman play but,he can't get in the Orient squad so at best will be vying with Dolan to warm the bench.Far more productive to give Dom that opportunity.Waters plays wide or up front like Lewis who is now down the pecking order when he should be getting his chance.Woodiwiss looks too small to be a CB but,has good skills so he could be a useful DM player.Unfortunately,we may never know because journeymen are pushing him down the order.
They're 17. They've not physically matured yet, never mind mentally. There's a huge step up from academy/EFL Trophy football and actual league games. If they're good enough, their chance will come.

In fact with Collins, I'd rather he go out to Bath or Chippenham. Somewhere local so he can keep training with us, but fighting for 90 minutes each week. If he's ready for more game time here, he should be more than comfortable at that level.
Agree with this, it is a big step . Having said that, some of these youngsters look like men at 15 though mentally as you say another matter.

DT1892 wrote:

Worse thing to do to him.
Loaned out and forgotten.
Playing with inferior footballers who will never make it.
When he has come on has even been voted MOM, never seen a poor performance from him.
One name.
Rooney
That's an example clearly not a comparison.

The best example of a academy product who was managed in and out of the team is Andrew Hughes. I think he made his debut in the 1-0 defeat to Luton who mugged us and by memory Tim Harris gave him his debut though I might be wrong on that, he was 17.

He was allowed to develop and is now a Championship player. He featured in our promotion from the conference season but wasn't a automatic choice - Washington barely played that season. He flourished in the football league and in the end was one of the first names on the team sheet but it took a few seasons of growth and management to make him the player he became.

The people who know if they're ready are the manager and coaches because they're with them every day.

Fourthousand wrote:That's the thing, play youngsters, possibly go on a losing run and the knives will be soon be out once again, but this time Flynn will have handed his detractors the opportunity on a plate. (There are already many on here who think we should be doing so much better than we are).

People come out with ' do this, do that' but it's always one dimensional, there are no repucussions and no accountability......but then of course there isn't when it's not real life , not your lifelihood nor your future career.
If you are going to make a point make it. This use of the word people is tiresome. If you wish to be critical of people or their views at least name them. That way they can respond.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
DT1892 wrote:

Worse thing to do to him.
Loaned out and forgotten.
Playing with inferior footballers who will never make it.
When he has come on has even been voted MOM, never seen a poor performance from him.
One name.
Rooney
That's an example clearly not a comparison.
Rubbish. He's 18. If 6 months at a club a couple of divisions below is enough to kill his career, then he was never good enough in the first place. Conor Washington developed his game against 'inferior players', yet made us a killing with his career so far. I'm fairly sure that Andrew Hughes went to Mangotsfield on loan, that didn't stop him playing in the Championship.

The experience of half a season competing for a place in senior men's football beats coming off the bench for 15 minutes once every 4 games or getting 90 minutes against Leicester's reserves. If these lads are good enough to play for us, a spell in the Conference South shouldn't be a problem.

What's Rooney got to do with anything?