Re: There's Power in the Shorts

daftasfxxx wrote:David Hando always insists the AFC is added after the name which is okay by me as we were always Newport County AFC, like the majority I would also like the return of the black shorts but with black and amber hooped socks like we wore a few seasons ago
I don't really suppose it matters that much. If Percy believes we are a new club, for him we are a new club. As for the AFC if it keeps David Hando happy again I'm happy with that.

As for the reality. Look on the web-sites the newspapers and the TV. On the league tables how often do you see AFC? Seldom or never?

Percy plunkett wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Surely we all know that the kind of football we play is association football. I think the "A" can be dropped in everyday use, and only kept on things like letterheads etc.... hearing it said ALL the time is just a bit ridiculous.
We could drop the County out of it as well if you like.
Or the Newport bit just like the dragons

daftasfxxx wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Surely we all know that the kind of football we play is association football. I think the "A" can be dropped in everyday use, and only kept on things like letterheads etc.... hearing it said ALL the time is just a bit ridiculous.
We could drop the County out of it as well if you like.
Or the Newport bit just like the dragons
Or both and be the anonymous exiles.

Well this has moved on from the colour of our shorts..! Back on topic, I quite like the all amber, but I have to say that seeing the black shorts and socks on Tuesday, it felt and looked better to me.

Now the same can be related to the club/clubs debate. Newport AFC was not a very sexy name, and I've heard a lot of people saying they only got interested again when the County name was added back. Well that itself is sad, because in those first 10 years after the 'hiccup', as someone said, more support could have progressed the Club sooner.

I have supported the County for 45 years, at Somerton, Moreton, Somerton again, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade (as well as countless away grounds), as have many others. However is it one club or two?

Sadly, my club died. Newport County folded in Feb 1989. In June 1989 a new club was formed, in the spirit of the old Club, but without a league, town or even a Country to play in. Those who started the new phoenix club will tell you, how difficult it was to start again. They were all old County supporters.

Legally it had to be a new club and even the use of the name was put on hold, but well done to the board at the time for the foresight to buy the rights to use 'County' later on.

We are all Newport County AFC fans. Whether you believe or like it or not, the facts are the old Club was no more. A new club was formed. The spirit and memories cannot be taken away and we all feel like is is or at least should have been one club.

As David Hando will tell you, we support a 31 year old Club with a 108 year history.

countyareup wrote:Well this has moved on from the colour of our shorts..! Back on topic, I quite like the all amber, but I have to say that seeing the black shorts and socks on Tuesday, it felt and looked better to me.

Now the same can be related to the club/clubs debate. Newport AFC was not a very sexy name, and I've heard a lot of people saying they only got interested again when the County name was added back. Well that itself is sad, because in those first 10 years after the 'hiccup', as someone said, more support could have progressed the Club sooner.

I have supported the County for 45 years, at Somerton, Moreton, Somerton again, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade (as well as countless away grounds), as have many others. However is it one club or two?

Sadly, my club died. Newport County folded in Feb 1989. In June 1989 a new club was formed, in the spirit of the old Club, but without a league, town or even a Country to play in. Those who started the new phoenix club will tell you, how difficult it was to start again. They were all old County supporters.

Legally it had to be a new club and even the use of the name was put on hold, but well done to the board at the time for the foresight to buy the rights to use 'County' later on.

We are all Newport County AFC fans. Whether you believe or like it or not, the facts are the old Club was no more. A new club was formed. The spirit and memories cannot be taken away and we all feel like is is or at least should have been one club.

As David Hando will tell you, we support a 31 year old Club with a 108 year history.
I'm sure your dad does say that. And he is perfectly entitled to that view. But whilst I have the greatest respect for David Hando, and I genuinely do, I believe that his opinion is no more than his opinion. It is not the word of God.

pembsexile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).
Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.
You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.
Percy, on top of this very page that I am writing from now, there is a logo which has the words ‘Newport County AFC’ and 1912 on it. It clearly has a black and amber two stripe logo on it. As far as I am concerned, the club can call itself anything it likes in an official capacity, I don’t really care.

There is obviously continuity in the history there. The club plays in the efl representing the city of Newport. I have known it as the County since I was a nipper. We used to play in black and amber and I think we still should. Nothing that the superb David Hando says will ever change that fact. He is talking about legality, I am talking about club history.
Let me begin by saying that I am now totally comfortable with us referring to the club as "County', but David is correct that Newport AFC was a different club that shares much if not all of the brand equity of the old Newport County, which never fulfilled it's promise to field a team in some London (I think) based league. Without AFC, had we all fallen behind supporting the other 'Phoenix', we'd still be waiting for the rebirth. Time to move on whilst recognizing the transient necessity of the launch of and transformation of Newport AFC to Newport County AFC. Up the Port!

Goddard & woods wrote:For me its the same club even when we reformed I would still refer to the team as the county, also we have a hall of fame at present to which a large number of pre 1989 players have been inducted my team didn't die it was just very ill. :grin:
Very good. I think it had a near death experience, tunnel, white light, beautiful fields, the works.

But I think a few above have missed the point. Like you for me it is the same club. But it is a purely subjective view. Those who believe it to a new club likewise hold a purely subjective view. I wouldn't dream of telling them they are wrong. The closest analogy I can think of is this. I believe Beethoven is a far greater composer than Mozart. There are professors of music who agree with me, there are professors of music who disagree with me.