Re: Gareth Thomas

Corpaboy wrote:Haven't watched the documentary . Basically because I'm sick of seeing the man on the TV lately !
Not that I condone The Sun or other like minded individuals for what they have done or said , but Gareth Thomas' life is just one , big documentary from what I can see .

He's a gay "celebrity" ..... big deal .

As for him having HIV , there is absolutely no excuse in this day and age .
He says he wants people to be "more aware" of the condition . It's a pity he wasn't "more aware" himself !

(Cue a ban for homophobic comments ! :roll: )
I respected him as a player! except for the stupiid ayatollah shite, other than that I agree with you, so I will probably get a ban as well through association :lol:

Corpaboy wrote:Haven't watched the documentary . Basically because I'm sick of seeing the man on the TV lately !
Not that I condone The Sun or other like minded individuals for what they have done or said , but Gareth Thomas' life is just one , big documentary from what I can see .

He says he wants people to be "more aware" of the condition . It's a pity he wasn't "more aware" himself !

That pretty well sums it up for many of us I suspect but as you say that doesn’t absolve chip paper newspapers ( those were the days ) from the disgusting act of profiting from his misery.

I don't think that your comments are homophobic. Although I'm sure that there are many who would pretend they were if it suited their agenda.

I am not sure I agree with you though. There is no excuse for being fat, there is no excuse for smoking, there is no excuse for not eating enough fibre, there is no excuse for ever being less than perfect.

When you have had a drink and you have got the hots sex happens. And the idea that you or anyone else will always stop to think about the potential Consequences is for the birds.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I don't think that your comments are homophobic. Although I'm sure that there are many who would pretend they were if it suited their agenda.

I am not sure I agree with you though. There is no excuse for being fat, there is no excuse for smoking, there is no excuse for not eating enough fibre, there is no excuse for ever being less than perfect.

When you have had a drink and you have got the hots sex happens. And the idea that you or anyone else will always stop to think about the potential Consequences is for the birds.
So , you DO agree with me on the "no excuse" bit then , Stan ?
All of those "conditions" you describe are preventable but are common place .
What Alfie is trying to say is that HIV is no big deal either in this day and age ? So , why make a documentary about it with yourself as the main attraction ??? Sorry , but I can't listen to the man any more .
But ..... just my opinion

The documentary stated that he had the virus for years and would secretly get treatment every 6 months to avoid anybody spotting him.
Very lucky fella as improved treatments mean its not a guaranteed killer any more.
Dreadful the way him and a few others ganged up to get rid of Ruddock all those years back when he was doing a great job managing the National side.
That's another debate though.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The documentary stated that he had the virus for years and would secretly get treatment every 6 months to avoid anybody spotting him.
Very lucky fella as improved treatments mean its not a guaranteed killer any more.
Dreadful the way him and a few others ganged up to get rid of Ruddock all those years back when he was doing a great job managing the National side.
So why did he say the press took away the fact he couldn't tell his parents when hes had years to tell them

And did he have it while he was playing because hes putting other players officials etc at risk there's a lot of blood injuries in egg chasing

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:The documentary stated that he had the virus for years and would secretly get treatment every 6 months to avoid anybody spotting him.
So why did he say the press took away the fact he couldn't tell his parents when hes had years to tell them

And did he have it while he was playing because hes putting other players officials etc at risk there's a lot of blood injuries in egg chasing
Because of the "stigma" attached to something that Alfie now says shouldn't have a "stigma" , so he's decided to make a documentary detailing the "stigma" attached to HIV which no longer has a "stigma" ???? I think ???

Exile 1976 wrote:Out of interest mods, why is this not in the ‘everything else’ section?
Very good question. To relate it to football I would ask the following 2 questions.
Why has no high profile male footballer felt able to 'come out?'
Is the main reason the inevitable unwanted and adverse media attention or the homophobic abuse he would get from football crowds, or both?

Corpaboy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

What Alfie is trying to say is that HIV is no big deal either in this day and age ? So , why make a documentary about it with yourself as the main attraction ??? Sorry , but I can't listen to the man any more .
But ..... just my opinion
There is still a stigma around it. Who knows how many people are living secretly with HIV and haven't told anyone because of it? If the documentary helps just one person open up about it, then it's a success. If it educates one person about how HIV is spread, or how it is no longer life-threatening if treated properly, then it's a success.

It's a better world when these topics are out in the open for people to talk about comfortably and safely, where people don't feel judged.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Out of interest mods, why is this not in the ‘everything else’ section?
Very good question. To relate it to football I would ask the following 2 questions.
Is the main reason the inevitable unwanted and adverse media attention or the homophobic abuse he would get from football crowds, or both?
Justin Fashanu.

llanwern exile wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Justin Fashanu.
Yes, of course. How could I have forgot? I would excuse myself by saying loss of short term memory due to old age, but it was a long time ago now. More seriously though I guess his sad story is also a reason why others feel unable to 'come out'

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
Quite the reverse. The excuse is that of human frailty.
Ah! Then we are all excused! :grin:
It’s not that I disagree Stan and perhaps the immoderate nature of some of his behaviour and certainly that of the disgusting rag that compromised his “ secret “ would do well to read the ancient Greeks and the value of harmony.
As Xenophanes would have pledged when he drank just enough wine with his fellows to ensure that he would be capable of the walk home “ let us always do acts of justice “. Not a bad code eh?