County v Bury 1973

Friday's vital game v Bury has reminded me of the corresponding match at the end of 1972-73 when we missed out on promotion to division 3 on goal average. This was after our 4-3 win in an obviously tense and exciting match. If the Cambridge Mansfield match had ended in a draw we would have been promoted. Hereford beat Crewe 1-0 despite rumours that they had lost. They claimed second place after being 21st at New Year.The following Friday Aldershot got the point thèy needed at Stockport to push us into 5th place.
I think that if we beat Bury we will make the Play offs: it should carry us through at Macclesfield and even if we draw v Lincoln I see us winning v Oldham;then the finale at Morecambe. The Bury game is massive I'm going for 4-3.

Re: County v Bury 1973

Remember that game very well walking out of Somerton park thinking we were promoted only to realise that the BBC had got the Hereford result wrong and we would have to wait a few days to learn our fate, small point we were denied promotion on goal average ( as it was then ) not goal difference think we would have missed out anyway without checking.

Goddard & woods wrote:Remember that game very well walking out of Somerton park thinking we were promoted only to realise that the BBC had got the Hereford result wrong and we would have to wait a few days to learn our fate, small point we were denied promotion on goal average ( as it was then ) not goal difference think we would have missed out anyway without checking.
I am fairly convinced that we would have missed out on goal difference also.

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening!

Hmmm.. betting on 4-3? You must be crazy!

I can see us getting four, but not them getting any, so it’s 4-0 for me , boosted to 160/1.

We’re on!

Only one goal short Saturday at Cambridge... I think it’s coming!

Phil in Npton

That's what Doris says!

Special branch wrote:Friday's vital game v Bury has reminded me of the corresponding match at the end of 1972-73 when we missed out on promotion to division 3 on goal average. This was after our 4-3 win in an obviously tense and exciting match. If the Cambridge Mansfield match had ended in a draw we would have been promoted. Hereford beat Crewe 1-0 despite rumours that they had lost. They claimed second place after being 21st at New Year.The following Friday Aldershot got the point thèy needed at Stockport to push us into 5th place.
I think that if we beat Bury we will make the Play offs: it should carry us through at Macclesfield and even if we draw v Lincoln I see us winning v Oldham;then the finale at Morecambe. The Bury game is massive I'm going for 4-3.
I also recall that game, whereby we're comfortably leading, 4-1 if my memory serves me right, then for some reason took our foot off the gas so to speak and conceded 2 goals in the later stages ! I also remember the crowd thinking we'd been promoted after wrongly hearing the Hereford result :?