Re: Will we make playoffs? Yes or No?

Looking at recent form (last 6 results) of the clubs in the play offs I'd say realistically it's only Exeter that we could catch. They've only taken 7 points from their last 6 games, which if they continued in that vein would put them on 69 points after 46 games. So we need 14 points from our last 7. 4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. Just about achievable ? Beat Swindon, Cambridge, Bury, Morecambe. Draw with Oldham and Macclesfield. Lose to Lincoln. Job done.
It's a heck of an improvement required in terms of picking up points. So far this season we average a return of 1.4 points per game, over the next 7 games we need to increase this to 2.0 points per game so almost a 50% improvement needed. Seems a lot when looked at in those terms. Our recent form, last 6 games has produced 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats so 10 points in total, or 1.66 per game. Carry this form on until the end of the season will give us 68 points, not quite enough in my view.
Of course we also need the 5 teams above us to not pull up any tress, which in fairness they are currently not with the exception of Oldham who have won their last 3.
All to play for especially with our near fully fit squad. Got a strange feeling that Crofts is going to join the party and do the business over the next month ! Then again I can also see that bald tw*t up at Morecambe toe poking a 95th minute equaliser in his football league swan song !

faerun exile wrote:Looking at recent form (last 6 results) of the clubs in the play offs I'd say realistically it's only Exeter that we could catch. They've only taken 7 points from their last 6 games, which if they continued in that vein would put them on 69 points after 46 games. So we need 14 points from our last 7. 4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. Just about achievable ? Beat Swindon, Cambridge, Bury, Morecambe. Draw with Oldham and Macclesfield. Lose to Lincoln. Job done.
It's a heck of an improvement required in terms of picking up points. So far this season we average a return of 1.4 points per game, over the next 7 games we need to increase this to 2.0 points per game so almost a 50% improvement needed. Seems a lot when looked at in those terms. Our recent form, last 6 games has produced 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats so 10 points in total, or 1.66 per game. Carry this form on until the end of the season will give us 68 points, not quite enough in my view.
Of course we also need the 5 teams above us to not pull up any tress, which in fairness they are currently not with the exception of Oldham who have won their last 3.

All to play for especially with our near fully fit squad. Got a strange feeling that Crofts is going to join the party and do the business over the next month ! Then again I can also see that bald tw*t up at Morecambe toe poking a 95th minute equaliser in his football league swan song !

The problem with your analysis is that even if we overtake Exeter, other teams currently outside the playoffs will also overhaul Exeter. It may be that 71 points will be enough I think 73/72 points will be enough 74 points will in my view definitely be enough.

As I said elsewhere, notwithstanding my error in calculation, :oops: I think it possible but unlikely. Swindon is a must win.

Goddard & woods wrote:Its a no from me 4 home games against sides above us is a tough ask and I think we would have to win all 4 and pick up a win and draw from the remaining 3 away games would be delighted to be proved wrong though, make or break game tonight.
Agree.

The original question is perhaps misleading. For me can we make the playoffs is a yes. Will we make the playoffs is a no.

Win tonight and the very unlikely become just unlikely. :grin: