From 1989 to here

Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?

Re: From 1989 to here

Handolucifer wrote:Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?

I will assume I am included in the 'negativity camp' and one of the fans you are criticising........... I was there before the old club folded and ever since the the new club reformed. i have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles supporting MY CLUB and many many thousands of pounds in the process. i went to EVERY home game at Moreton in our first season and 95% of the away games. Watch at leat 80 of games every season ever since
Sorry to go on but I know of at least one other fan who has been through as much as I have with the club because I know he has been following the club for many years (B Bassett). We are two that were unable to get tickets for one of our biggest games in our history because of the way the 'priority' was set up and circumstances did not enable us to get tickets where many many PLASTICS who have never seen the club play have them ...That's why I and a few are upset with the club

1979, we beat West Ham. 1980, the season of triumph. 1981 Quarter Final of a major European competition. 1983 Easter, 1-0 v Cardiff, top of the old third division. And five years later oblivion.

Are we negative or are we just fans able to see that unless in good times you lay down solid foundations it can all implode very quickly?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:1979, we beat West Ham. 1980, the season of triumph. 1981 Quarter Final of a major European competition. 1983 Easter, 1-0 v Cardiff, top of the old third division. And five years later oblivion.

Are we negative or are we just fans able to see that unless in good times you lay down solid foundations it can all implode very quickly?
I was at all those games,We have had success mixed with sh-t.....I am able to distinguish between the two....You just prefer to distinguish the latter......

Handolucifer wrote:Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?
I think this says more about the durability of some of our supporters. Is three or four promotions from lower leagues in 30 years and the last two years of cup runs really that much of a return? Especially for a city of our size. I believe we should hold our hearts what supporters have done since our rebirth but we were reborn an awful long time ago.

aberexile wrote:
I think this says more about the durability of some of our supporters. Is three or four promotions from lower leagues in 30 years and the last two years of cup runs really that much of a return? Especially for a city of our size. I believe we should hold in our hearts what supporters have done since our rebirth but we were reborn an awful long time ago.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:1979, we beat West Ham. 1980, the season of triumph. 1981 Quarter Final of a major European competition. 1983 Easter, 1-0 v Cardiff, top of the old third division. And five years later oblivion.

I think the difference being that this time if a Jerry Sherman comes forward, all the owners will all have a choice as to whether we want someone like that involved.

"]Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?[/quote]

God Kingsbury Rangers - I remember that so well - I remember we rocked up all billy big balls, expecting to turn them over easily, as we did most teams that season, and got our arses well and truly kicked !! Gives me some hope for Saturday!

( Don’t know why but I distinctly remember a good barbecue at Kintbury!!).

Alan G Bryant wrote:

I think the difference being that this time if a Jerry Sherman comes forward, all the owners will all have a choice as to whether we want someone like that involved.
Not that this is the time for arguing particularly, but I wouldn't be totally confident that would actually happen.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:"]Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?
God Kingsbury Rangers - I remember that so well - I remember we rocked up all billy big balls, expecting to turn them over easily, as we did most teams that season, and got our arses well and truly kicked !! Gives me some hope for Saturday!

( Don’t know why but I distinctly remember a good barbecue at Kintbury!!).[/quote]

Me too, 3-0, although if memory served it was Kintbury.

Alan G Bryant wrote:

Anyone who thinks Jerry Sherman caused County to go under is wrong. Sherman was a vulture. He turned up merely to try to pick the bones of a dead club.

We went bust because we wrongly believed that building a team was more important than building a club. Put simply we didn't put the infrastructure in place.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

Anyone who thinks Jerry Sherman caused County to go under is wrong. Sherman was a vulture. He turned up merely to try to pick the bones of a dead club.

We went bust because we wrongly believed that building a team was more important than building a club. Put simply we didn't put the infrastructure in place.
The point being that in 1986 we did not own the club. If a Jerry Sherman comes knocking in 2020 we have the choice.

As for having infustructure , whilst it helps , it guarantees nothing. Orient , Darlington , Rushden , Chesterfield , Stockport , York etc they all have the infustructure, but not the team.