Re: GRANDSTAND: EXILES v MANCHESTER CITY FA CUP 5TH ROUND

Great effort against arguably the best team in Europe at the moment.

The only team so far to score against Manchester City in the FA Cup this season. The only team so far to concede less than 5 goals against Manchester City in the FA Cup this season.

4 FA Cup matches against Premier League and Championship opposition this season and not a single yellow or red card.

Very proud to be a County Supporter this morning.

Of course very proud of the team with their FA cup exploits this season. They have given me moments of joy that I will never, ever forget in reaching the 5th round. But if have to be ultra critical, I have to agree with some others that I didn't think we pressed the ball and man in possession as tightly as we might. 30 mins before the first free-kick? Haven't said that I have to admire the quality of the Man City players, their first touch, accuracy of passing, and the speed of movement especially in and around the box. Credit to them as well for not diving, feigning injury and unduly attempting to influence the ref and his assistants. Something that is seen far too often in most premiership sides. I've seen far more of it from League 2 sides at RP this year. Thought we keep trying manfully though and when Amond scored of course hopes were raised that we could snatch an unlikely draw in normal time, but were cruelly dashed inside a minute.

Only time will tell what affect the cup will have on our remaining league fixtures, after what will inevitable be seen as be an anti-climax. Hopefully the 3 January transfer window signings will add some fresh impetus, plus the realisation from some in the squad that they are playing for contract renewal.

newgroundrodney wrote:For me, our passing let us down first half, along with some of our composure in front of goal, or lack of it. Forget that it's Man City, we gave the ball away through poor passing, when under no pressure too many times. Just didn't connect our passes. We did half of their work for them.
I think (understandably) most of the team looked overawed and struggled with the basics. Team looked very nervous and had no composure in situations. Completely understandable under the circumstances.

The thing that struck me was the fact that we didnt win our usual fair share of attacking headers despite the opposition being shorter and less physical than league two teams. Seems like timing and speed of thought makes a huge difference.

Really enjoyed that yesterday. It was a free game for us, everyone expected us to get comfortably turned over. All I said before the game is that if we cant win, I hope don't get humiliated, we can give them a good game and a bit of a scare. We did that in spades. We should be immensely proud. To score against one of the best club sides in the world at the moment is just incredible. It allowed us to dream, if only momentarily.

I think the lads gave a great account of themselves. I'm still struggling to believe that we saw that side, in Newport. The Premier League record holders. Superb.

Let's not forget that side City put out was one which respected us massively. Something that Flynny, Lawrence, Hats and the squad have earned. Everything about what they did was so classy. From the comments from Pep, not taking the win for granted, their players enjoying the banter with the fans & I've read this morning about the players staying for a while after for photos and autographs with Newport youngsters. That is what the FA Cup is all about.

The whole City is beaming with pride, and so it should be. I'd like to think our perception in the local area has increased tenfold and hopefully we can bring some of those supporters back for league games...

What a journey we've had these past 2 years.

Up the County!

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Didn’t press enough ??? .... gave the ball away ????

I give up ... only against the best team in the land mind!!!

To a man the boys were unbelievable.

Where Spurs psssing wasnt quite there .... Man City’s was.

Very Proud - UTC.
100% in agreement

Ludicrous comments on here ffs we were playing superstars yesterday.
What a privaledge to see them.
If you wanted a rugby score yes press on and go for it
After watching the game in full on TV Joe will not be happy as on a good day all 4 would of been saved but heh ho.
Thought Bakinson was terrible apart from the chance, its time to give Sheehan a start again in the league
Apart from him and Robbie I thought they all ran themselves ragged
100% effort and thanks for the splendid enjoyment this cup run has given me and my family

On the downside piss heads coming back into the Hazel Stand 15 minutes after second half kicked off and shouting "up the port" .
I know a good few lads who come half a dozen home games that qued with stubs that didn't get a ticket but these idiots did!
likewise where were the parents for these idiot kids running on at the end.
The idiot from Taffs crowd who let off the smoke bomb in the final 5 minutes .
Hope Taff drops him in and he gets a ban.

Anyway back to the league now and thanks Flynny plus your team and a great bunch of players making us National news again this season.
Just pure brilliance.

Enjoyed the game thoroughly, the gulf in class was there for all to see but we battled all over the pitch and scored a deserved goal, I think it was a shame we conceded twice in injury time as imho 1-2 would have been a fair and just result, reflecting on it this morning I am very proud of my football team and my fellow supporters who made the atmosphere outstanding, and a big up to the amber army who never stopped all through the game, good on you guys you are a credit to us all, roll on next year when we go again. UTC

Ok.... opinion only counts for League games. When I say we failed to connect our passes, I also said WHEN UNDER NO PRESSURE..... i guess people missed that bit. Half of the time we failed to find our own player with NO OPPOSING PLAYER ANYWHERE NEAR.
I believe we could have actually been 2-0 up at half time. The fact that it's Man City makes no difference. We should still get the basics right.

newgroundrodney wrote:Ok.... opinion only counts for League games. When I say we failed to connect our passes, I also said WHEN UNDER NO PRESSURE..... i guess people missed that bit. Half of the time we failed to find our own player with NO OPPOSING PLAYER ANYWHERE NEAR.
I believe we could have actually been 2-0 up at half time. The fact that it's Man City makes no difference. We should still get the basics right.
"The fact that its Manchester City makes no difference"

You are having a laugh mate!!

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Ok.... opinion only counts for League games. When I say we failed to connect our passes, I also said WHEN UNDER NO PRESSURE..... i guess people missed that bit. Half of the time we failed to find our own player with NO OPPOSING PLAYER ANYWHERE NEAR.
"The fact that its Manchester City makes no difference"

You are having a laugh mate!!
It's probably the fact that the calibre of the opposition affects your mindset and makes you a bit more nervous.