Re: Solihull Moors

I believe their current chairman used to own Oxford United and (rumour has it) did well out of selling the club, and now has a bit of cash to throw at his boyhood team in Solihull.

They’re not super-minted like Salford, but they have a bit of financial ballast. A bit like us when we went up from that division, in fact.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I believe their current chairman used to own Oxford United and (rumour has it) did well out of selling the club, and now has a bit of cash to throw at his boyhood team in Solihull.

They’re not super-minted like Salford, but they have a bit of financial ballast. A bit like us when we went up from that division, in fact.
They also have a very good manager in Tim Flowers.

I used to live near their ground - the one end used to be a driving range - went there a few times to hit a few balls onto what now is the pitch - they formed up from Moor Green, who I think the County played down at Spytty one year and whose main stand burned down rendering them homeless, and Solihull Borough. If I remember rightly Birmingham Citys old training ground was on the same road and I think Birmingham City ladies play at the Moors ground on Damson Parkway - btw its next door to a massive Land Rover plant.

The old Moor Green ground was peculiar. It had one of those traditional non-league stands that looked like railway signal boxes but they'd turned the pitch 90 degrees so it was at one end, with just a rail along both sides and a bikeshed cover at the other.

The neighbours objected to permanent floodlight pylons so they had to lie flat and be winched up. Driving through Shirley to get there, you passed a big Chinese called the Shirley Temple.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The old Moor Green ground was peculiar. It had one of those traditional non-league stands that looked like railway signal boxes but they'd turned the pitch 90 degrees so it was at one end, with just a rail along both sides and a bikeshed cover at the other.

The neighbours objected to permanent floodlight pylons so they had to lie flat and be winched up. Driving through Shirley to get there, you passed a big Chinese called the Shirley Temple.
:cheers: