Re: GRANDSTAND: Exiles v Stevenage

I appreciate it is all about opinions but how some supporters are singling out Robbie and Tyler Forbes for criticism after a 2-1 victory against a decent side in windy conditions is hard to comprehend. Stevenage had just one shot on target and if anyone was to blame for their goal it was Dan Butler who left their right back in yards of space.

Dan is a real fans favourite so it gets overlooked but he also endured a torrid time at the start of his Newport County career in terms of criticism.

May be getting some stick because of the 20 crosses stevenage got in from the left wing which they eventually scored from one Robbie is an offensive not defensive and I have a bit of sympathy for Forbes left exposed against 2 Boro players of which Campbell -soup was invariably one crossing at will with time to spare .Stevenage were excellent at pressing and closing us down but used a lot of energy and fell off a bit in second half along with negative subs which gave us the impetus to push again starting to believe......... (we won't get relegated )

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I don't know why Wilmott gets so much criticism.....
In every office, in every classroom, in every factory and in every football team, someone always is made the scapegoat. There is even the expression, "there's always the one".

For us of an earlier generation it was Wynne Hooper, followed by Steve Lowndes. My own view is that once our collective mind is made up confirmation bias takes over. Every mishit pass from Wilmott is remembered, every mishit pass from everyone else is ignored.

It was ever thus.
Very true.

Alan G Bryant wrote:I appreciate it is all about opinions but how some supporters are singling out Robbie and Tyler Forbes for criticism after a 2-1 victory against a decent side in windy conditions is hard to comprehend. Stevenage had just one shot on target and if anyone was to blame for their goal it was Dan Butler who left their right back in yards of space.

Dan is a real fans favourite so it gets overlooked but he also endured a torrid time at the start of his Newport County career in terms of criticism.
Looking at the highlights I was wrong about Forbes not stopping one cross. He did stop the cross coming from the man he was marking leading up to the goal, but it was 2 against 1. Dolan didn't close down their free man. Maybe Wilmott should have stuck to the right wing more to help Forbes. I agree that Butler left their right unmarked in front of goal, and was therefore to blame. I notice that Butler and other defenders were having a go at Amond, as if it was his job to mark the right back.

Trev wrote:May be getting some stick because of the 20 crosses stevenage got in from the left wing which they eventually scored from one Robbie is an offensive not defensive and I have a bit of sympathy for Forbes left exposed against 2 Boro players of which Campbell -soup was invariably one crossing at will with time to spare .Stevenage were excellent at pressing and closing us down but used a lot of energy and fell off a bit in second half along with negative subs which gave us the impetus to push again starting to believe......... (we won't get relegated )
Having looked at the video, I agree that Forbes was left exposed for their goal.

Blackandamber wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:I appreciate it is all about opinions but how some supporters are singling out Robbie and Tyler Forbes for criticism after a 2-1 victory against a decent side in windy conditions is hard to comprehend. Stevenage had just one shot on target and if anyone was to blame for their goal it was Dan Butler who left their right back in yards of space.

Looking at the highlights I was wrong about Forbes not stopping one cross. He did stop the cross coming from the man he was marking leading up to the goal, but it was 2 against 1. Dolan didn't close down their free man. Maybe Wilmott should have stuck to the right wing more to help Forbes. I agree that Butler left their right unmarked in front of goal, and was therefore to blame. I notice that Butler and other defenders were having a go at Amond, as if it was his job to mark the right back.
I saw that too, I thought it was Mickeys man.

SULLY34 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:

I saw that too, I thought it was Mickeys man.
Totally agree Sully Mickey should have been picking him up.

Not for the first time at home this season could goals have been prevented by better marking by Demetriou and/or Butler but I think we need to put this into perspective. Almost all goals can be put down to an defensive error in some shape or form. On he flip side of this how many goals or assists have been created this season by Demetriou or Butler. I'm sure both there overall contributions put them on the plus side this season. Afterall scoring one more goal than the opposition has always been the best policy.

I thought first half it was evenly poised with the wind dictating and both sides trying their best against the elements.
Second half being perfectly honest the wind dropped in our favour and County dominated we looked the only side to win. Stevenage are a team that have a mix of experienced players most who have at least played regularly at League 1 level and higher and the youngsters have been well recruited eg. from Fleetwood and non league football at teams where Deano has managed previously.
I thought Campbell - Ryce no 20 a wealth of higher league experience at 35 yrs caused us most problems on the left wing who made their first goal. He caused Forbes endless problems.
A weakness that we need to correct is the way our midfield and defence do have a habit when a side is counter attacking or an opponent is on the offensive running with the ball we back track and back off instead of being proactive and meeting them head on by closing down the space and their time on the ball.
Presently opposition player/s are running from sometimes defence through our midfield and on the edge of our box because of our players being on the backward foot and not initiating before players are in the danger zones.
This is a constructive criticism and observation which needs to be addressed.
Last edited by somerton moss on October 15th, 2018, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.