Re: BREAK EVEN FOR THIS SEASON

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
We all know what is needed and that’s to contribute more to the club. It’s not rocket science. However, statements like “stepping up to the plate” are rather crude. Fact is though watching a Division 4 club is expensive enough as it is. I think you are dreaming if you think fans in Newport can pay another £30 per month on top, plus many already contribute to the lottery and sub draw.
For me the above applies regardless of who / how the club is run.
You are right but.

Newport is a big town. The industrialized area of the old county of Monmouthshire is one of the most densely populated parts of the UK.

My view is that we need to start asking the right question. That being what do we need to do to engage all those people who might support Newport County by watching us on a regular basis?

If the people of the Newport conurbation are different from the other sixty million people in the UK and Brian Harris was right, there is nothing we can do. But deep down we all know that is total bollox.

So do we carry on as we have been? Blaming the people of Newport and begging some white knight to save us.? Or do we start trying to develop a club?

Sadly looking at developments over the last couple of weeks, I fear we are about to make the wrong choice again.
We need to built in the community to connect the kids to the club early and hope their parents are happy to come along - but there's no reason that can't happen with fan ownership OR private ownership, loads of clubs have private owners but still run successful community schemes. Stuff like sending the players to deliver Season Tickets is good, but we also need to do similar things to engage those who haven't already spent their cash on the club.

One of the problems is that you don't just create that connection, it can take time and that's not something we have a lot of.

flat4 wrote:Judging by what has been said over the last few months, our home gate numbers would have to exceed 3k to BREAK EVEN. Things are going to be very tight this season, I just hope that this up and coming meeting the BOD have a plan of action to move forward.

We had over 3,000 last season but without the cup run we would have lost £500,000.........
How was money haemorrhaging from our club so bad last season? MF has one of the lowest player budgets, gates were up on previous seasons , season ticket sales were up and we made money from previous player sales , yet we would have lost half a million , HOW ????

I too find it concerning. I'd have understood if we had gotten our cup windfall in December, because you could then argue we went for promotion and spent the money there.

I am certain that there are good reasons why but it's the same old story - we aren't told.

From where I'm sitting it's exactly the same as when we weren't fan owned, only now we don't have people like Howard greenhaf and Chris blight who can dig deep when it's really needed.

For me, the single advantage of being fan owned is that the club will never die because financial risk won't be taken. For whatever reason that doesn't seem to be the case with us.

neilcork68 wrote:
flat4 wrote:Judging by what has been said over the last few months, our home gate numbers would have to exceed 3k to BREAK EVEN. Things are going to be very tight this season, I just hope that this up and coming meeting the BOD have a plan of action to move forward.

We had over 3,000 last season but without the cup run we would have lost £500,000.........
How was money haemorrhaging from our club so bad last season? MF has one of the lowest player budgets, gates were up on previous seasons , season ticket sales were up and we made money from previous player sales , yet we would have lost half a million , HOW ????
Probably because you weren't at the helm guiding us with your infinite football Manager/Chairman/knoweverything skill-set's.

Fourthousand wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Probably because you weren't at the helm guiding us with your infinite football Manager/Chairman/knoweverything skill-set's.

Oh sorry 'O great one'...I'm not allowed to ask questions or have an opinion on an un-official fans forum now am I ? :roll: :roll:

How was money haemorrhaging from our club so bad last season? MF has one of the lowest player budgets, gates were up on previous seasons , season ticket sales were up and we made money from previous player sales , yet we would have lost half a million , HOW ????[/quote]

Probably because you weren't at the helm guiding us with your infinite football Manager/Chairman/knoweverything skill-set's.[/quote]

Oh sorry 'O great one'...I'm not allowed to ask questions or have an opinion on an un-official fans forum now am I ? :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Just an observation that there wouldn't be any issues if you got yourself involved and got everyone else to toe the line.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:What we needed was for the fans of the club to step up to the plate financially. What we needed is what I said all along, "1500 fans donating £30 a month"... trouble is, it was not focused on at the TIME. There was too much emphasis on the buying of shares, and not enough emphasis on the monthly donation ongoing. Many thought, and still do, that joining The Trust for a tenner is doing their bit. Joining the Trust gets you your right to vote & attend certain meetings, that's it. What ELSE will you do for the club? In a time when simply buying tickets and a bit of merchandise is not enough, we need fans who are willing to cough up monthly.
We have an average home fans figure of just over 3100..... now, as I've said before, around half of those will be children, seniors, students, low paid & unemployed, but the other half, the "financially able" half, have not stepped forward.
To paraphrase Chris Blight: "it's easier to ask 1500 people for £30 a month, than to ask one man for £500k"....and he is absolutely right.
For whatever reason, the fans who ARE able, have not been willing......and in a way, why should they, when you think of what we've been told:
... " there'll be much more transparency going forward, and we know we've fallen short on this so far. It will improve".....
... " you'll get more say on a range of issues"
... " there'll be regular meetings"....
...." there'll be regular updates ".....

If we ditch the model, we'll get even less say.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need a packaged monthly payment scheme to include Trust Membership, Match Ticket & Benefits & rewards donation. When we have that, perhaps we'll get the money we need monthly.
Those who wish to buy their Season Ticket up front could still do so.
Hi,

I don't disagree with any of that but......

Unless supporters are engaged, informed and feel included they are not going to contribute. To put it succinctly. Would I donate £30 a month to Newport County? Yes. Would I donate £30 a month to Newport County the way they are run now? No.
It is a shame that it has come to this. In over 60 years of my supporting the County I was delighted when we the fans of the club took over from the private investor model.

These very same fans have been and still are turning on each other, we can't get to a position of unity and to have a sense of purpose to which we agree.

I have come on here and said we need to work through our Trust to get the changes we need and have been attacked for these views.

In short I still believe that what we are proposing to do (75% poll) is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

For once I agree with most of what Stan has said on this thread.

For me - initially either the Trust board got lazy/jumped/out manoeuvred or whatever you want to call it and the 'power' moved to the individuals (on) and the operational board. As a result 'the Trust' has been unable to deliver on the manifesto on which it was founded.

Some fans are starting to not see the distinction and pointing the finger at both (boards) for the shortfalls (hence why I keep saying work through the Trust to try and make things better over time).

The worrying thing for me is in jumping to a hybrid model just because we can't get the model we paid for to work. Like Stan's post above some fans won't support the existing model financially or otherwise. George's comment about a root and branch review might come out of all this and is what I hope for (where we could get 'control' back to the Trust).

In short I don't want a hybrid model, I want a strong Trust with teeth and delivering us a community club - we have seen what we want (by it coming up well short in this iteration) now let's make it happen before we give away our club. (The monies/investors stuff is just fools gold - please look further around the continuation and the very existence of our football club - get the Trust you want/ the club that you want and then support it with every positive vein in your body).

A hybrid model worked well for Swansea.

League 2 is probably the limit of our ambitions if we retained the current Trust status, and in that division you are always flirting with the prospect of relegation back to non league football, and in our case probable oblivion.

Trusts are limited because elections tend to lead to weak entrepreneurial skills and commercial ability in their leadership, and of course very restricted finance, the latter factor coming home to roost this season with our much reduced playing budget.

[quote="Taunton Iron Cider"]A hybrid model worked well for Swansea.

League 2 is probably the limit of our ambitions if we retained the current Trust status, and in that division you are always flirting with the prospect of relegation back to non league football, and in our case probable oblivion..

Trusts are limited because elections tend to lead to weak entrepreneurial skills and commercial ability in their leadership, and of course very restricted finance, the latter factor coming home to roost this season with our much reduced playing budget.[/quot

I agreeing with much of this post, although i'm not sure i would describe the playing budget as MUCH reduced, given our squad size.

Lets just hope private investor(s) can be found for a hybrid model. Still sceptical that they can?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:A hybrid model worked well for Swansea.

League 2 is probably the limit of our ambitions if we retained the current Trust status, and in that division you are always flirting with the prospect of relegation back to non league football, and in our case probable oblivion.

Trusts are limited because elections tend to lead to weak entrepreneurial skills and commercial ability in their leadership, and of course very restricted finance, the latter factor coming home to roost this season with our much reduced playing budget.
If you have a clear objective and good process then individuals (elected) can run a good community based club. A private owner with non 'weak' entrepreneurial skills will run the club as he/she deems appropriate.

You have to be clear what you want; do you want a community club run on our principles with some input or do you want someone to do the running of the club for us, using their money to try to get us in as high a league as possible - you won't get both. Both come with a health warning and there is no right answer - for me it's the former and always will be.

I have been racking my brain on this one as to what is the best idea/model for ownership and the only truth I can come up with is that we desperately need an injection of cash from somewhere. Hopefully we are agreed on that.

To those who say that the Trust model cannot work, I say this - Green Bay Packers. They are an American football team who have won the Super Bowl four times. They were formed at roughly the same time as us in the decade of the 1910's. They are based in a town with a slightly smaller population than Newpôrt but they have seriously developed as a sports entity. Globally, they are the 30th richest sports franchise in the world. Whilst they have a world wide fan base, a lot of their support comes from the wider area of the north part of the US including Canada.

No-one at the club is allowed to own more than 5% of shares, the club is basically owned by the fans. They have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets, only about 90 new fans manage to get tickets each year. Every single home game has been completely sold out since 1960. How on earth do they do it.

Now, I am not suggesting that we can emulate them and be as successful as they are. The situations are completely different. But, somehow they have managed to get this successful. If we could just get a tiny, tiny bit of their mindset we could achieve so much.

My point - the Trust model can work if the conditions are right.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:A hybrid model worked well for Swansea.

Until the 'local businessmen' side of the hybrid model decided they wanted to sell on to 'non-local businessmen' at which point the Trust was well and truly shafted.
Have look at the local Swansea press to see how accirmonious it got and what their fans think of it all.

the trust are now accepting that a hybrid system would work better
Isn’t that what the old board had suggested until TP went off and offered Les £300k for his shares
You couldn’t make it up
What a waste of everyone’s money time and effort to come back to what was suggested in the first place