WORLD CUP PLAYERS.....?

As someone with absolutely zero interest and very limited knowledge of international football, can I ask, with the "smaller" nations who are appearing, are ALL of the players on show signed to major / semi-major but professional clubs?
I suppose what I'm really asking is whether any could do a job for County, and would they want to come to Britain?....are any worth persuing?.... are any at all likely to end up in the English lower reaches?

Re: WORLD CUP PLAYERS.....?

daftasfxxx wrote:NGR, pure gold mate, you ever thought about doing stand up
Well you say that, but just looking at some of the squads, there are plenty of players from weird and wonderful places playing in front of little more than 4,000 fans at club level.
What I'm asking, is if one of them impressed, could a lower reach English league team make a cheeky bid for one, say from Morocco or somewhere? They may see it as a stepping stone to mega riches.....

I was only asking the question, cos as a route into the country, the odd one may go for it....

We wouldn’t get work permit so for most players from the smaller nations.

Also there are not many players in this World Cup who would need to play 4th division English football. Some of the Icelandic part time players earn more with their jobs and playing football.

Bush wrote:We wouldn’t get work permit so for most players from the smaller nations.

Also there are not many players in this World Cup who would need to play 4th division English football. Some of the Icelandic part time players earn more with their jobs and playing football.
What's the requirement for a work permit?...what determines that one player can go from one country to another, but another can't go from the same country to the same country? Genuine question cos I honestly don't see how Liverpool have an Egyptian, but Newport County for example couldn't..... lay man's terms will be fine.

Amberexile wrote:In layman's terms it depends on FIFA ranking then they have to have played a certain percentage of international matches in the last so many months/ years. The percentage and period get stricter as the ranking drops.

See, there you go. Dead easy, simple answer, so now I know. Amberexile, fair play, your knowledge of football governance, compliance & regulations is top!

I still can't be arsed with international football mind! :grin:

newgroundrodney wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:NGR, pure gold mate, you ever thought about doing stand up
Well you say that, but just looking at some of the squads, there are plenty of players from weird and wonderful places playing in front of little more than 4,000 fans at club level.
What I'm asking, is if one of them impressed, could a lower reach English league team make a cheeky bid for one, say from Morocco or somewhere? They may see it as a stepping stone to mega riches.....

I was only asking the question, cos as a route into the country, the odd one may go for it....
Morocco... who omitted (unoffficial) Premier League Goal of the Season scorer Sofiane Boufal from their squad?

It's 2018, not 1982! Apart from the whole question of why no-one else has signed them, why base your scouting on (at most for the level of player we're looking at) 4 matches when you can look at hundreds of others via video and scouting reports who are much easier to get hold of and not overpriced as a result of playing in a World Cup either.

Recruiting from major tournaments has always been a terrible idea, it's like betting on outsiders only once they become the favourite. You still have all the issues they already had, plus you also get far less value for your money.

I'm aware of what year it is. But i was just giving examples. So FIFA use some sort of ranking system. Thats fine, but I dont see how a man from Senegal for example, can come to work as a security guard in Newport, but his brother who's a good footballer cant come to work as a footballer in Newport, earning 3 times the money, and paying probably twice as much tax.
I dont get that. And thats where I'll leave the topic.

faerun exile wrote:There are also plenty of lower league / non league players eg Jake Gosling who play international football for small and obscure countries. They clearly don’t have a problem with FIFA rankings / getting work permit.

Well, seeing as Gosling was born and raised in England I don't suppose he'd have too much trouble getting a work permit :lol:

I think the majority of the lower and non league minor nation Internationals (such as our 'own' Jahraldo-Martin) were either born in the UK or UK citizens