Re: Lennie Lawrence

I would not underestimate how much influence Lawrence had in our cup run. We lost today due to playing the wrong disjointed system which played right into the hands of Barnet. I expected us to concede but our retention of the ball was very poor. We got turned back over time after time.

I think we have done ok this season with some great games and some very poor performances. I've just struggled with the formations we have played throughout the season and hope M F and co bring in a team that fits through the summer. Plus fitness looks to be an issue with some of the Lads

Really does make me laugh this "reality check" phrase used in this thread. The reality is that we are a bottom half L2 side. The players we attract are at this level - maybe with one or two that could play in L1 (although a number of them are untested at that level) and a couple of loan signings that have come off (White - although his form has been inconsistent at times). I really don't know what people expect - win a few games and all of a sudden it becomes a massive disappointment if we do not reach the playoffs. I've said all season - we carried the feel good factor up to Xmas and then reality set in. We are not going to attract the players that can make that difference at the moment to get us to L1. Don't forget Accrington have had huge investment - very much like we had when we got promoted to the FL. We simply can't attract that level of player to come and live in South Wales unless we pay serious money. Those players that do well and are due a contract renewal will up their wage request in line with clubs further up the pyramid who are prepared to pay it - Labidie being a case in point before he was injured. I know it is hugely disappointing for some but that is the reality.

Mr Figo wrote:Really does make me laugh this "reality check" phrase used in this thread. The reality is that we are a bottom half L2 side. The players we attract are at this level - maybe with one or two that could play in L1 (although a number of them are untested at that level) and a couple of loan signings that have come off (White - although his form has been inconsistent at times). I really don't know what people expect - win a few games and all of a sudden it becomes a massive disappointment if we do not reach the playoffs. I've said all season - we carried the feel good factor up to Xmas and then reality set in. We are not going to attract the players that can make that difference at the moment to get us to L1. Don't forget Accrington have had huge investment - very much like we had when we got promoted to the FL. We simply can't attract that level of player to come and live in South Wales unless we pay serious money. Those players that do well and are due a contract renewal will up their wage request in line with clubs further up the pyramid who are prepared to pay it - Labidie being a case in point before he was injured. I know it is hugely disappointing for some but that is the reality.

Spot on.

Mr Figo wrote:Really does make me laugh this "reality check" phrase used in this thread. The reality is that we are a bottom half L2 side. The players we attract are at this level - maybe with one or two that could play in L1 (although a number of them are untested at that level) and a couple of loan signings that have come off (White - although his form has been inconsistent at times). I really don't know what people expect - win a few games and all of a sudden it becomes a massive disappointment if we do not reach the playoffs. I've said all season - we carried the feel good factor up to Xmas and then reality set in. We are not going to attract the players that can make that difference at the moment to get us to L1. Don't forget Accrington have had huge investment - very much like we had when we got promoted to the FL. We simply can't attract that level of player to come and live in South Wales unless we pay serious money. Those players that do well and are due a contract renewal will up their wage request in line with clubs further up the pyramid who are prepared to pay it - Labidie being a case in point before he was injured. I know it is hugely disappointing for some but that is the reality.

Stop being so bloody realistic - this is Newpôrt County ffs. :wink:

I just hope that my optimistic streak kicks in soon because it seems to be doom and gloom with our form at the moment.

pembsexile wrote:

I just hope that my optimistic streak kicks in soon because it seems to be doom and gloom with our form at the moment.
Swansea. A town the same size as Newport with the same problems. And yet........

If you accept defeat, even if you call it reality, you are defeated. Mike you were in the RAF. You know that in the late summer of 1940 that the RAF were on the verge of defeat. However the other lot gave up first.

Every fan, player, manager or director of our club who finds a reason for failing, is the cause of that failure.

Newport people don't want a League football, the referee robbed us, we don't have a sugar daddy, we were unlucky with injuries, mid table is so much better than last year, we can't afford to win promotion.

All the above have two things in common. They sound reasonable and they are absolute bollox.

Winners win, losers find an excuse.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Swansea. A town the same size as Newport with the same problems. And yet........

If you accept defeat, even if you call it reality, you are defeated. Mike you were in the RAF. You know that in the late summer of 1940 that the RAF were on the verge of defeat. However the other lot gave up first.

Every fan, player, manager or director of our club who finds a reason for failing, is the cause of that failure.

Newport people don't want a League football, the referee robbed us, we don't have a sugar daddy, we were unlucky with injuries, mid table is so much better than last year, we can't afford to win promotion.

All the above have two things in common. They sound reasonable and they are absolute bollox.

Brendan, my problem is - I have seen it all before. Mediocrity, oblivion, euphoria, the whole flaming lot.

When we have a very bad spell (like now) I start worrying about the club. Can't help it, it's just me. This spell has gone on far too long for my liking. Optimism is the only thing that keeps me going. Things will get better etc. Before anyone mentions it - yes we have had a much better season than last year, but given our start, it could have been so much better. All I am saying is that I want this optimistic phase to start bloody soon. MF and the rest have to do something. Some good signings in the summer and a good pre season would be a start.

That's the short term. Medium to long term - concentrate on getting bums on seats and sorting out the agreement at RP or move on. In the see - saw that is the reality/optimism ride, reality is in the ascendancy at the moment. It will change hopefully. Onwards and upwards. Cmon the County.

Flynn states worst performance under his charge.
Bubble has burst.
Same players who whipped Leeds and nearly Spurs.
Awful tactics with no change to hoof the ball hopelessly to Padraig
Not a.single shot at Barnet keeper
Accrington are already champions as they do not need a point with a huge superior goal difference.
I am worried for sure where he will go from here.
The season has just petered out.
Sounds like yesterday was an embarrassment.

jollysuperstar wrote:Flynn states worst performance under his charge.
Bubble has burst.
Accrington are already champions as they do not need a point with a huge superior goal difference.

Hi Harps

jollysuperstar wrote:Flynn states worst performance under his charge.
Bubble has burst.
They do need a point.Luton have scored bucket loads of goals so have a fantastic GD.The rest of your post is true.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Interesting aerial history analogy Stan. Let me refer you to another one which you will know about - Jagdgeschwader 1. That's it -Manfred von Richthofen's Flying Circus. He had complete control on who flew in his fighter wing - he got rid of those that were not good enough and took the best pilots that were for his squadron.The Manchester City so to speak of the aerial world in the Great War. Result - 644 Allied aircraft destroyed, the Circus lost 52 pilots and 67 wounded. Simple fact - the House almost always wins - not always, there are sometimes endeavours that break the mould - the odd punter who wins the jackpot in Vegas, little Leicester City winning the Premiership a couple of years ago, Germany switching their targeting policy to London during the Batlle of Britain and allowing the RAF to rebuild their airfields. Miracles do happen in life, we had one last year but they do not happen every year. They do happen if you have the best players and pay the best wages to get those players.

I see we are into history now. Just to be clear - Germany didn't deliberately 'switch' to bombing London in WW2 and so 'save' the RAF airfields. On 27 Aug 1940 a Luftwaffe pilot veered off course and dropped his bomb load on London and hit the docks. Churchill ordered the RAF to retaliate and bomb Berlin. Hitler retaliated and the rest as they say is history.

Football, like life in many respects is a percentages game. Quite agree that we should not have to rely on miracles to keep us going. We have to concentrate on doing what we do as well as we can. There is no other option as all the other clubs are trying to do so as well. Every man must do his duty and all that.

The problems that us fans have since the fantastic cup run are the majority of players are turning in performances when they choose turning on and off form like a tap. When you play at such a high level against Luton, Coventry and to some extent Swindon put in horrendous performances against Crewe, Stevenage and now Barnet in a short space of time it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. When you analyse the players work ethic, will to win and skill levels against the so called bigger and better clubs with the smaller lesser clubs it makes you think. Where is their personal pride for the club and supporters or are they only playing for the money ? Might sound harsh I know but us fans are no mugs and do not want to be treated as such.