Re: GRANDSTAND: Exiles v Notts County

Exile 1976 wrote:I'm assuming it's the "most successful since Ashurst & Addison" comment. Must have forgotten JEd.
Flynny said recently that if at the end of his county career he will be known just for saving us from the drop he will be disapointed.

Not sure how you can compare that to winning managers. If flynny does get us promoted he will be the best manager in our history.

Bush wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I'm assuming it's the "most successful since Ashurst & Addison" comment. Must have forgotten JEd.
Flynny said recently that if at the end of his county career he will be known just for saving us from the drop he will be disapointed.

Not sure how you can compare that to winning managers. If flynny does get us promoted he will be the best manager in our history.

Agreed.

Harps62 wrote:Morning Exile.
Quite agree but maybe in 6 months time hopefully we can put him up there with JE, Ashurst & Addison.
Before most on here but Billy Lucas must be up there also.
Do not understand the "drunk" bit though.
Never come across this poster although he has 400 posts?

Possibly for someone to think that Flynny is the most successful since those two then the poster must be drunk. That's how I understand it.

Exile 1976 wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote: The gloves to help with his hammy too huh? Never seen a professional outfield player with leg skins on before. Like I said, what a fanny.
Not sure why you'd want to get less than the best out of any of our players for the sake of some outdated concept of machismo, to be honest.
That's your problem then chief.
Even without you knowing for sure that's why he was wearing them.

P.S. The laughter emoji in my original post probably passed you by as it was kind of tongue in cheek but you bit....
You didn't post it on the second one and I didn't see the first one, so...

As for "not knowing for sure why he was wearing them", yeah tricky that when a player has had repeated hamstring injuries and then wears something that reduces hamstring injuries...

SJG99 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Not sure why you'd want to get less than the best out of any of our players for the sake of some outdated concept of machismo, to be honest.
That's your problem then chief.
Even without you knowing for sure that's why he was wearing them.

P.S. The laughter emoji in my original post probably passed you by as it was kind of tongue in cheek but you bit....

As for "not knowing for sure why he was wearing them", yeah tricky that when a player has had repeated hamstring injuries and then wears something that reduces hamstring injuries...

You did see the first one as you replied to it, so.. !!!
Anyhoo, it was kind of tongue in cheek, i didn't really want people to mark him down just because he was wearing them. Duh.
Wow, must be the only pro player to have had hamstring injuries, never seen another pro wear them, normally compression support bandage straps or shorts, not sure full leg skins are needed, but hey, perhaps we're leading the way...

Exile 1976 wrote:
SJG99 wrote:

You did see the first one as you replied to it, so.. !!!
Anyhoo, it was kind of tongue in cheek, i didn't really want people to mark him down just because he was wearing them. Duh.
Wow, must be the only pro player to have had hamstring injuries, never seen another pro wear them, normally compression support bandage straps or shorts, not sure full leg skins are needed, but hey, perhaps we're leading the way...
I had to go back and check - I only responded to the leggings part, so no, I didn't see the laughing emoticon.

Also... you've never seen another pro wear them. Not even one known to have hamstring or recurring injury problems?

Like, say...
or maybe...
Or...
All players with a history of long term injuries, all wearing skins/tights to keep their muscles warm. Anyone would think it was actually a really good idea...

Exile 1976 wrote:
Quite agree but maybe in 6 months time hopefully we can put him up there with JE, Ashurst & Addison.

Possibly for someone to think that Flynny is the most successful since those two then the poster must be drunk. That's how I understand it.
County's most successful manager ever was Billy McCandless

Cornish Exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

County's most successful manager ever was Billy McCandless
Yes got us promoted to the 2nd tier only for Adolf to stick his oar in probably before most supporters time certainly mine, top 3 managers in my time supporting the County Billy Lucas Len Ashurst and Colin Addison with special mention for JED.
If Flynny can get us promoted at some time he will certainly rank alongside those 3 he has already achieved a great escape like Addison and reached the 4th round of the FA cup like Ashurst, has the potential to surpass them all hope he does as there will be some great times ahead.

Goddard & woods wrote: Yes got us promoted to the 2nd tier only for Adolf to stick his oar in probably before most supporters time certainly mine, top 3 managers in my time supporting the County Billy Lucas Len Ashurst and Colin Addison with special mention for JED.
If Flynny can get us promoted at some time he will certainly rank alongside those 3 he has already achieved a great escape like Addison and reached the 4th round of the FA cup like Ashurst, has the potential to surpass them all hope he does as there will be some great times ahead.
This is not to knock Michael Flynn, who has done well. However he has been manager for less than a year and we are presently 14th in Division Four/League Two.

Billy McCandless will only be remembered by supporters born before 1930. It is I suppose possible that there is one very old man who will remember him, but he is either before living memory or about to become so. For me in the four years between the beating of West Ham in January 1979 and losing to Portsmouth in late 1983 County had far and away the best team and most successful period. It was a team that Ashurst built and I can't see how in purely footballing terms and results you can argue with Ashurst being our greatest manager.

Whilst not knocking great escapes it does need to be remembered that it is far easier to make up points against struggling sides than winning ones.

Also on another thread I mentioned memories being far from perfect. Everyone of a certain age remembers Denis Law scoring to relegate Manchester United. Whilst Law did score and whilst the look of horror on his face was genuine, it is a false memory. Manchester United would have been relegated no matter what the score in the final game. Likewise the first 'Great escape.' On that May evening we only needed a draw to avoid re-election. Had we lost we would have still finished well above Workington and they not us would have lost their League status. Jimmy Cagney never said 'You dirty rat' and Humphrey Bogart never said 'Play it again Sam'.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Goddard & woods wrote: Yes got us promoted to the 2nd tier only for Adolf to stick his oar in probably before most supporters time certainly mine, top 3 managers in my time supporting the County Billy Lucas Len Ashurst and Colin Addison with special mention for JED.
This is not to knock Michael Flynn, who has done well. However he has been manager for less than a year and we are presently 14th in Division Four/League Two.

Billy McCandless will only be remembered by supporters born before 1930. It is I suppose possible that there is one very old man who will remember him, but he is either before living memory or about to become so. For me in the four years between the beating of West Ham in January 1979 and losing to Portsmouth in late 1983 County had far and away the best team and most successful period. It was a team that Ashurst built and I can't see how in purely footballing terms and results you can argue with Ashurst being our greatest manager.

Whilst not knocking great escapes it does need to be remembered that it is far easier to make up points against struggling sides than winning ones.

Also on another thread I mentioned memories being far from perfect. Everyone of a certain age remembers Denis Law scoring to relegate Manchester United. Whilst Law did score and whilst the look of horror on his face was genuine, it is a false memory. Manchester United would have been relegated no matter what the score in the final game. Likewise the first 'Great escape.' On that May evening we only needed a draw to avoid re-election. Had we lost we would have still finished well above Workington and they not us would have lost their League status. Jimmy Cagney never said 'You dirty rat' and Humphrey Bogart never said 'Play it again Sam'.
Hi Stan/Brendan my top 3 were in no particular order Ashurst was by far and away the most successful of them and built a side that will probably be the best in my lifetime ( 60 next birthday ) and Addison in 82/83 came very close to getting us into the 2nd division playing some great football with some wonderful memories Oxford away 3-0 Bristol Rovers away 3-1 Orient away 5-0 Lincoln away 4-1 and beating them down the road at Easter to go top, fell apart in the last 6-7 games losing to sides below us and getting beat 3-0 at home to Portsmouth. Just think that along with what he has achieved in the last year in Flynn can add a promotion to that he can ranked alongside those 2 and Billy Lucas in my opinion. Anyway hope you are enjoying life in the emerald isle and you can get over to see the boys from time to time.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Likewise the first 'Great escape.' On that May evening we only needed a draw to avoid re-election. Had we lost we would have still finished well above Workington and they not us would have lost their League status.
There was a widely accepted belief around the club at the time that if we were up for re-election that season we'd have been voted out - though the stats don't bear that out. As you say, Workington were more likely to go even if we'd been in the vote - they'd survived by 5 votes in 1974, 8 in 1975, 3 in 1976, and lost out in 1977 in their 4th successive bid for re-election, whilst County were involved in 1976 (getting 20 votes more than Workington) but hadn't been down there for 5 seasons before that.

Having said that, that concern around the club must have come from somewhere, anyone got any insight into it?

Anyway, great resource for re-election stats here: http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum ... tt_id=3506

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Does any of that alter the fact that McCandless was our most successful manager ever. His record is there for anyone of any age to see.