Re: Newport city centre masterplan revealed

Corpaboy wrote:Rodney Parade could make Newport great as far as sports venues are concerned .

I've said it before .... city centre , shops/bars/restaurants within a 5 minute walk .

This Buttress guy sounds like a breath of fresh air and shows a lot of vision and ambition ... something that has been lacking for years now
I agree partly with this. A city centre venue (or one close to the city centre) and competitive Dragons and County teams could be a godsend to the City and a thriving city could create a greater number of core supporters for the two teams.

I just can't see it at Rodney Parade. During my 3-4 hour wait for tickets on Thursday I was looking at the ground. The Bisley is a fair comparison to what could be envisaged for the Hazell stand, because with housing behind both stands the height of any new Hazell stand would be similar to the Bisley at it's highest point. To allow a thoroughfare, toilets and eating/drinking areas would leave a steep terrace (perhaps too steep for regulations) and/or little seating area even if the stand did away with hospitality boxes. The North terrace could take a two (or three) tier stand with little difficulty in the middle part but it may have to taper at both ends so as not to block light for the houses behind both Hazell and Bisley stands. It will be interesting to see where the additional seating extends to at the South end because I don't know how much space there is for development at that end

Corpaboy wrote:Rodney Parade could make Newport great as far as sports venues are concerned .

I've said it before .... city centre , shops/bars/restaurants within a 5 minute walk .

This Buttress guy sounds like a breath of fresh air and shows a lot of vision and ambition ... something that has been lacking for years now

He does indeed, but his old man is a right knob head :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Exile 1976 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks a lot :lol: :lol: :lol: a sentiment Mrs Lowandhard would immediately and wholeheartedly endorse. I know her intimately :grin:

lowandhard wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks a lot :lol: :lol: :lol: a sentiment Mrs Lowandhard would immediately and wholeheartedly endorse. I know her intimately :grin:

Make sure you threaten to ground him if he doesn't extend the lease haha

Rich wrote:Tweeted by David Buttress (Dragons Chairman) this morning;

As long as I’m Chairman, we’ll make it work because that’s our job. It’ll be all our sporting clubs home for as long as they want it to be. That also happens to be the right thing for the city and area. We have the best groundstaff IMO.
Presumably that includes the Squash Club and Newport County then......great stuff!
One question, the way things are set up, is HE the one to make that decision, or is it the WRU who'll make that decision?