Re: Should we rest players for Morecambe game?

faerun exile wrote:I’d rather beat Spurs and lose to Morecambe. Losing 3 league points isn’t the end of the world. If we get past Spurs that’s £90k more in the kitty and I think it’s about £250k if we get on live TV again in Rd 5 plus gate receipts, media coverage etc etc. Need to ride this FA Cup wave as far as we can.
Beating Morecambe is in our hands, Spurs isn't.

+ an FA Cup semi.

Fair play to Spurs, they put out pretty much a full squad in the last round against Wimbledon. Finished the player profiles for the programme today and even the fringe players I didn't know much about have amazing pedigrees.

They have so much financial clout they can cream off the best youngsters from clubs like Ajax, it really is a different planet. .

As to whether we should rest anyone, IMHO definitely not.

Blackandamber wrote:Should we rest players for the Morecambe game with us playing 3 home games in a week, so the 1st X1 are fresh for the Spurs game, or are league games more important than the FA Cup?
We should be rotating a couple each game to keep them fresh, obviously picking the first choice players against Spurs as even getting a draw could be massively important to the club's revenue and we need to get our best side out for that.

Whilst the league is still important for as long as we're in touch with the promotion places, the overall wellbeing of the club is best served by a short-term money grab, and we've only got one FA Cup 4th Round game compared to 46 League matches to make a difference.

George Street-Bridge wrote:+ an FA Cup semi.

Fair play to Spurs, they put out pretty much a full squad in the last round against Wimbledon. Finished the player profiles for the programme today and even the fringe players I didn't know much about have amazing pedigrees.

They have so much financial clout they can cream off the best youngsters from clubs like Ajax, it really is a different planet. .

As to whether we should rest anyone, IMHO definitely not.
Pochettino is under some pressure to actually win something with their best team in 50 years, they're taking the FA Cup very seriously.

I genuinely wonder about resting Labadie for Spurs.

Bonkers? I can envisage something like Tom Miller in the Bolton friendly where he clattered that Korean. Reputation for tough tackling, no particular malice but completely caught out by a player with a speed of thought and movement way ahead of what he was used to.

The last thing we need is Joss arriving late on the likes of Eriksen once too often and we lose him for more important league games.

Just noticed that apart from Saints away tomorrow (I'll give you all a scouting report, because it's not like it's the only Prem game on Sky that day or anything...) Spurs will be playing Man U on Weds 31st January so irrespective of County's priorities, pretty sure we'll see a second string Tottenham side - though as they tend to rotate their players regularly anyway I don't think they'll appear much under full strength.

There is also the possibility Toby Alderweireld needs matches to get back to match fitness, and he's the best defender in the Premier League, so that could be a bit of a problem.

Good to see Sheehan back last night, needs to play Tuesday to see if he's fully up to speed by Saturday, hopefully his youthfulness will give him sufficient recovery time.