Re: Grandstand - Exiles v Newcastle

Penalties are a lottery. No manager on earth can guarantee that any player will score. The only way any manager can throw a game away via penalties is if they tell their players to miss.
As for defenders not taking penalties, I reckon the likes of Phil Neal, Ray Stewart, Stuart Pearce, David Unsworth and Leighton Baines over the years might argue with that. Likewise players like Ian Rush, Les Ferdinand and Andy Cole scored a stack of goals but hardly ever took penalties.
It doesn't matter what position you play, it ultimately comes down to technique, bottle and a bit of luck. Fair play to the lad Cooper for putting his hand up.
No criticism from me for anyone last night. Brilliant team performance. Play like we have been so far for the rest of the season and we'll finish top three.

Jonesy3 wrote:Penalties are a lottery. No manager on earth can guarantee that any player will score. The only way any manager can throw a game away via penalties is if they tell their players to miss.
As for defenders not taking penalties, I reckon the likes of Phil Neal, Ray Stewart, Stuart Pearce, David Unsworth and Leighton Baines over the years might argue with that. Likewise players like Ian Rush, Les Ferdinand and Andy Cole scored a stack of goals but hardly ever took penalties.
It doesn't matter what position you play, it ultimately comes down to technique, bottle and a bit of luck. Fair play to the lad Cooper for putting his hand up.
No criticism from me for anyone last night. Brilliant team performance. Play like we have been so far for the rest of the season and we'll finish top three.
It certainly was a brilliant team performance. I meant to say that none of our defenders, apart from MD, should take penalties before our strikers etc. However, I was wrong again, it really applies to CBs.

Blackandamber wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:The Collins sub baffled me, if he wasn't brought on to take a pen then why not bring Ellison on, someone who has taken and scored numerous penalties?
Its going to sound very harsh but after a great 60/70 minutes Flynny and his team lost that game for us.
Padraig takes pens despite not making any impression all night but he is fit albeit slow.
Never seen Robbie take one.
Collins a youngster likewise.
Appreciate we were still winning then.
Not to bring Ellison on as the last sub threw the game away.
Great first half but think Flynny will realise its down to him not the players as to why we are not in the draw for next round.
All the 3 subs made no difference to the game in fact lost it for us.
If Taylor had scored from the spot we would be in the quarter finals regardless of subs and Cooper (who had a great game) blazing over. It was deja vu from last season's Trophy semi when another CB Howkins did the same. Defenders should take penalties (apart from Mickey) until all the strikers and midfielders have taken theirs.
Surely it was Inniss not Howkins who missed the Trophy semi penalty kick. Doesn't make any difference to your point, but let#s blame the correct player.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:The Collins sub baffled me, if he wasn't brought on to take a pen then why not bring Ellison on, someone who has taken and scored numerous penalties?
Its going to sound very harsh but after a great 60/70 minutes Flynny and his team lost that game for us.
Padraig takes pens despite not making any impression all night but he is fit albeit slow.
Great first half but think Flynny will realise its down to him not the players as to why we are not in the draw for next round.
No players "lost it for us"
We were beaten by a Premiership team
A team wins, a team loses
Watching that meant a lot to me and they gave their all AND played attractive football
Can't ask for more

OLDSTER wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
If Taylor had scored from the spot we would be in the quarter finals regardless of subs and Cooper (who had a great game) blazing over. It was deja vu from last season's Trophy semi when another CB Howkins did the same. Defenders should take penalties (apart from Mickey) until all the strikers and midfielders have taken theirs.
Surely it was Inniss not Howkins who missed the Trophy semi penalty kick. Doesn't make any difference to your point, but let#s blame the correct player.
Oh dear I am having a bad day. Better keep off the MB for a while before the men in white coats cart me away :lol:

OLDSTER wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Or how about let's not blame any player?

Just watched the highlights on Quest. Excellent performance, everyone stepped up. Shelvey really is an unlikeable footballer, should definitely have been sent off for the first half assault on Twine, but the way he sarcastically cupped his ears and 'sshh'-ed the non-existent crowd was stupid.

Plenty to build on in forthcoming league games, just hope there's no cup hangover.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Just watched the highlights on Quest. Excellent performance, everyone stepped up. Shelvey really is an unlikeable footballer, should definitely have been sent off for the first half assault on Twine, but the way he sarcastically cupped his ears and 'sshh'-ed the non-existent crowd was stupid.

Plenty to build on in forthcoming league games, just hope there's no cup hangover.
Reading their forums today,quite a few hate Shelvey,I can't quote some of the comments about him but,they would like to see him gone for sure.

llanwern exile wrote:Superb performance from all the lads, they ran themselves into the ground for the club and the fans they were out on their feet at full time and i for one am proud of each and every one of them, i just hope they recover quick enough to put in a full 90 minutes on saturday.
My thoughts also. First time I've noticed signs of tiredness towards the end of the game last night. Not surprising considering the amount of games most of that side have played this month. After Sat at least most can have a full weeks recovery time if rested the following Tues.