Re: George Williams

Well, he's cast his line in the river and hopes that someone will bite. It's way too early, most clubs (except Mansfield apparently) will first of all want to know when the season is likely to start and the suggestion of a wage cap is still floating around. I think players leaving Forest Green may have to take a reality check, as opposed to a Dale Vince cheque.

excessbee wrote:Well, he's cast his line in the river and hopes that someone will bite. It's way too early, most clubs (except Mansfield apparently) will first of all want to know when the season is likely to start and the suggestion of a wage cap is still floating around. I think players leaving Forest Green may have to take a reality check, as opposed to a Dale Vince cheque.

I agree but to take a 50% reduction in wages ??? ( As I believe we would / could offer compared to what he was on at FGR )....
Also I reckon he would want more per week than MF is earning...I cant see that happening , can you ?

Even with this Pandemic there will always be a club trying to spend their way to success in Non League, Always have been , always will be.
Teams in the National League feeder leagues ( North/ South) have bigger budgets than ours because they havent got the 'cap' we have

excessbee wrote:Well, he's cast his line in the river and hopes that someone will bite. It's way too early, most clubs (except Mansfield apparently) will first of all want to know when the season is likely to start and the suggestion of a wage cap is still floating around. I think players leaving Forest Green may have to take a reality check, as opposed to a Dale Vince cheque.
Eoin Doyle just signed for Bolton - rumoured to be a 3yr contract at £4k pw. Bonkers.

FGR already made two new signings.

neilcork68 wrote:

I agree but to take a 50% reduction in wages ??? ( As I believe we would / could offer compared to what he was on at FGR )....
Also I reckon he would want more per week than MF is earning...I cant see that happening , can you ?

Even with this Pandemic there will always be a club trying to spend their way to success in Non League, Always have been , always will be.
Teams in the National League feeder leagues ( North/ South) have bigger budgets than ours because they havent got the 'cap' we have
That's one issue a salary cap could introduce. With NL teams having no cap, a number of them will have higher budgets than League 2 teams meaning that they can put a more financially attractive offer to players dropping down the leagues. Potentially leaving League 2 clubs swimming in the same journeyman pool as usual or having to pick up players who become surplus to requirements at non-league clubs. Having to pick up players from Wrexham or Solihull Moors anyone?

Amberexile wrote: That's one issue a salary cap could introduce. With NL teams having no cap, a number of them will have higher budgets than League 2 teams meaning that they can put a more financially attractive offer to players dropping down the leagues. Potentially leaving League 2 clubs swimming in the same journeyman pool as usual or having to pick up players who become surplus to requirements at non-league clubs. Having to pick up players from Wrexham or Solihull Moors anyone?
How would that work in practice though? Johnny-come-lately businessman pumps loads of cash into a club, signs players at inflated wages to rush them into League 2, and then has to dock all their wages once they get promoted to fit the salary cap?

halfmoon wrote:
Amberexile wrote: That's one issue a salary cap could introduce. With NL teams having no cap, a number of them will have higher budgets than League 2 teams meaning that they can put a more financially attractive offer to players dropping down the leagues. Potentially leaving League 2 clubs swimming in the same journeyman pool as usual or having to pick up players who become surplus to requirements at non-league clubs. Having to pick up players from Wrexham or Solihull Moors anyone?
How would that work in practice though? Johnny-come-lately businessman pumps loads of cash into a club, signs players at inflated wages to rush them into League 2, and then has to dock all their wages once they get promoted to fit the salary cap?
One year contracts

faerun exile wrote:
Eoin Doyle just signed for Bolton - rumoured to be a 3yr contract at £4k pw. Bonkers.
Players follow the money so,Swindon go up but he stays down with Bolton,so much for wanting to play at the highest level possible.Someone else commented on here,where have Bolton suddenly got their money from,one minute they were ready to follow Bury now Mr money bags.

Percy plunkett wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Players follow the money so,Swindon go up but he stays down with Bolton,so much for wanting to play at the highest level possible.Someone else commented on here,where have Bolton suddenly got their money from,one minute they were ready to follow Bury now Mr money bags.
Enter administration, put all non-football debts under a long term repayment order (about 5p in the £ should do it), get new owners, start running up debt again.

It's a well trodden path that clubs like Bolton have been walking for about 70 years now.

rncfc wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Enter administration, put all non-football debts under a long term repayment order (about 5p in the £ should do it), get new owners, start running up debt again.

It's a well trodden path that clubs like Bolton have been walking for about 70 years now.
Bolton have laid off 75 staff.

the thread started with George Williams.
Just plain daft as the board unanimously decided to get rid of every County player out of contract including Scott who was superb more than average.
I would think they have no intention of signing anybody until the season to come is confirmed.
Then I believe we will get the sob sob hard up what or who can we afford scenario.
If things are bad financially and I cannot believe they are, maybe the first cost saver should be the cessation of free hospitality apart from the away representatives.
Wonder if that costing is ever covered in financial reports.

If we need to trim expenditure on the playing side of things, we were told at the January open meeting that a chunk of the increase in Flynn's budget for last season was spent on the sport science/analysis side of things rather than players so maybe that would be the first thing cut in that area?

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:the thread started with George Williams.
Just plain daft as the board unanimously decided to get rid of every County player out of contract including Scott who was superb more than average.
I would think they have no intention of signing anybody until the season to come is confirmed.
Then I believe we will get the sob sob hard up what or who can we afford scenario.
If things are bad financially and I cannot believe they are, maybe the first cost saver should be the cessation of free hospitality apart from the away representatives.
Wonder if that costing is ever covered in financial reports.
Would you rather we had signed players up not knowing when next season will start ? With furlough ending and the chances of a second Covid spike happening this autumn we may not start the season until 2021. Don't panic Harps, there will be plenty of players to choose from when season starts - no doubt we will sign up a couple when the time is right. Take a look at what's happening in the lower leagues in terms of player signings - you can just about count them all up on the fingers of a Wrexham fan. The likes of Mansfield and Bolton are splashing the cash as normal but little all else is going on. Even moneybags FGR are desperately scouring non-league and the Scottish lower leagues for signings. A bit strange don't you think with all the alleged Championship / L1 players about to flood the market, all just chomping at the bit to play for little old Newport County on half pay. Then again perhaps you are right - making our directors pay for a plate of sandwiches at every home game might return the savings we need, if indeed they are allowed in the stadium.