Grandstand: Grimsby Town at Blundell Park

Tuesday 25th February:

Meetings between the two clubs go back to 1921.

Matches since the Conference National play-offs:

2012 / 2013.
Grimsby Town 0-1 Newport County.
The games only goal came from Ismail Yakubu shortly before full time. This was only the second occasion County had beaten Grimsby at Blundell Park.

Newport County 1-0 Grimsby Town.
After County won the first leg 1-0 at Blundell Park with a goal from Ismail Yakubu on eighty-nine minutes, the second leg took place four days later at Rodney Parade on a Sunday. The games only goal came from Christian Jolley on thirty-one minutes. Current manager Mike Flynn and Robbie Willmott were among the County squad. County headed to Wembley seven days later to face Wrexham for a place in League Two.

2016 / 2017:
Grimsby Town 1-0 Newport County.
The games only goal was a penalty scored by Omar Bogle with less than five minutes to go. The penalty resulted after Dan Butler brought down Tom Bolarinwa in the box. County were bottom with just one win from nine games.

Newport County 0-0 Grimsby Town.
A dour game that produced only four shots on target, two by each side. County were now bottom with sixteen to play, four points from safety. Graham Westley had only another four games in charge, after which County were still bottom but eleven points from safety.

2017 / 2018:
A fairly even early season meeting. The games only goal came from Padraig Amond on sixty-three minutes. After nine matches, County were eighth while Grimsby were mid table.

Grimsby Town 1-2 Newport County.
Robbie Willmott gave County the lead with a stunning shot from outside the box.
County were two up on fifty-six minutes after Frank Nouble's shot was deflected in.Jamille Matt, now with County reduced the deficit on eighty minutes. He was later sent off shortly before full time.
County were now tenth after twenty-seven games while the Mariners were seventeenth, eight points adrift of County.

2018 / 2019:
After losing the opening league game at Mansfield, this was a fourth league game unbeaten. A goal direct from a free kick by Matt Dolan with around six minutes of the first half remaining was the games only goal.County were tenth after five games while the Mariners were seventeenth.

Grimsby Town 3-0 Newport County.
With an FA Cup fourth round replay at Rodney Parade schedule three days after this league match, Mike Flynn made a few changes to the starting lineup. Jordan Cook scored twice for the Mariners, one in each half, while County Mickey Demetriou scored an own goal from Martyn Woolford's shot. Both County and Grimsby were now ten points outside of the play-offs.

2019 / 2020:
FA Cup Round One.
Grimsby Town 1-1 Newport County.
Grimsby took the lead shortly before half time. A cross by Liam Gibson was headed low and underneath goalkeeper Tom King. County were level with around eleven minutes remaining. Mark O'Brien was brought down just inside the box. Substitute Padraig Amond scored, only just beating the Grimsby goalkeeper to his right.

FA Cup Round One replay.
Newport County 2-0 Grimsby Town.
After a goalless and dull first half, County took the lead on fifty minutes after a long low cross from Corey Whiteley  was confidently slotted into the net by Padraig Amond. Grimsby had Mattie Pollock sent off in injury time for a second yellow card and Joss Labadie sealed victory moments later.

Players past / present who've played for both Newport County and Grimsby Town:
Harry Arch.
Alf Lee.
Frank McKenna.
Ian Turner.
Graham Rathbone.
Mick Saxby.
John Macey
Paul Bignot
Christian Jolley
Lenell John-Lewis.
Alex Rodman.
Mitch Rose.
Padraig Amond.
Jamille Matt.
Matt Green.
Tom Naylor.

Managers:
Grimsby Town - Ian Holloway.
Newport County - Mike Flynn.

Head to head:
Mike Flynn 0
Ian Holloway 0
Draws 0
Last edited by reebok0165 on February 24th, 2020, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Grandstand: Grimsby Town at Blundell Park

Great write-up as always, thanks.

I feel tomorrow's game at Grimsby has come at the wrong time, they're in good form since appointing Ollie and playing some good attacking football from watching Quest highlights. If we had got into a run of a few wins on the bounce I feel we may have got a result tomorrow. As it is I think Grimsby will win 3-1 which is probably a fair prediction based on recent form of both sides. Innis to bag another.

Re: Grandstand: Grimsby Town at Blundell Park

Agreed, great write up as usual
I said after the Mansfield game that's it for me this season I'm not going to any more games because it was garbage but got a few days off work so as usual i have had a change of mind and I will drive the hour and 20 mins to go tonight
Not my favourite place to go to but I travel in hope if not in expectation and let's be fair who knows what this game or any of our games will bring
Weather is not bad so may be a better game
Safe journey to whoever's making the long trip up