Re: Shrews and Mike Flynn

In any trade there is jargon. It exists for many reasons. One of those reasons is plausible deniability.

It is very flattering to be linked to.........
= I'm interested if you want to come and get me.

'It's very flattering to be linked to a club like Bristol Rovers.' Said by Dean Holdsworth. He didn't get the gig but left for Aldershot a week later.

There has been no approach from.......

= Feelers have been sent out by our people to your people.

'There has been no approach from Gillingham.' Said by Trust in Justin and the club after he had been told that the job was his.

I have no idea whether Flynn will be offered the job, or if he has whether he will take it. But at 10/1 I'd risk a tenner.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:Much of Mike Flynn's success is down
to the combined efforts of himself, Wayne Hatswell and Lennie Lawrence.

If offered the job, would he want to take them with him?
Given his stated ambition to manage at premiership level, eventually would Shrewsbury be seen as a 'big enough' step up?
Why does it need to be a ‘big enough’ step up ? He’ll be going from LG 2 to LG 1, that’s a step up, if they do well under him then he could easily attract clubs higher up the pyramid

Marky wrote:
Dogger wrote:I’m not being disrespectful, but if there is a smaller club than us in League 1, it’s Shrewsbury. Flynny would be mad to leave us for them. Unless I’m mistaken they have amongst the smallest budgets in Lge 1. When MF is at another club, it’s because he decided to move to a bigger (& potentially better) club. Shrewsbury are not that club.
Not disrespectful, just wrong, there are lots of smaller clubs than Shrewsbury in League 1.
Got to disagree Marky , aside from Accy & maybe Fleetwood or Burton, they are definitely one of the smallest clubs in League One. Now obviously they have their own ground & training facilities , but I still think they’ll be relegated this season. Now if they offer to double Flynny’s wages, he has to consider it. However if he waits & gets us into the playoffs or better he’ll get Championship or big league one clubs looking at him.

If there is an offer on the table then MF will have to consider it - it's a simple tale of economics - is it worth the risk? Only MF can answer that - if he thinks it's worthwhile then he will go. No more than that - don't forget County can offer nothing compared Shrewsbury in terms of facilities and what is on offer - apart from a relegation battle. I know he is loyal being local - but when would you make the jump if you have a family to look after?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:In any trade there is jargon. It exists for many reasons. One of those reasons is plausible deniability.

'It's very flattering to be linked to a club like Bristol Rovers.' Said by Dean Holdsworth. He didn't get the gig but left for Aldershot a week later.

'There has been no approach from Gillingham.' Said by Trust in Justin and the club after he had been told that the job was his.

I have no idea whether Flynn will be offered the job, or if he has whether he will take it. But at 10/1 I'd risk a tenner.
What about at 2/1? That’s the current odds with Bet Victor

Mikey Flynn is a shrewd judge and having unfinished business with Newport especially this season in such a good position and a mouth watering cup tie against Wrexham coming up I would be surprised.
Being a local lad and such a loyal type of character the odds would be against the move.
Although there is another Newport near Shrewsbury.

Lysaght Dancer wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:In any trade there is jargon. It exists for many reasons. One of those reasons is plausible deniability.

What about at 2/1? That’s the current odds with Bet Victor
No.

County ranger wrote:Throughout his playing career Flynn went where the opportunity / money was and who can blame him. If he gets a better financial offer / contract length he has to consider it and probably take it. Loyalty does not 5he pay the bills and three / four losses on the bounce people will be calling for his head!
I agree. For us football/County are a passion. For Flynn it's a job. That is not a criticism, it's a fact.

Mr Figo wrote: don't forget County can offer nothing compared Shrewsbury?
Which does rather beg the question why a town of 71,000 can offer such facilities whilst a city of 145,000, over twice as big, can't?

Yes I am aware I have bored you all silly with this point. But until such time as those running our club recognize and deal with this problem it's a point I shall continue to make.

It's not a question of how the likes of Shrewsbury do so much with so little. It is a question of how the likes of us do so little with so much. The fact is that if County were to sack a manager, a supporters of Shrewsbury should be worried that a club of our size might be coming in for our manager. As things stand if Flynn goes the County job will be going to an out of work manager or an untested manager. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but we clearly have less choice.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County ranger wrote:Throughout his playing career Flynn went where the opportunity / money was and who can blame him. If he gets a better financial offer / contract length he has to consider it and probably take it. Loyalty does not 5he pay the bills and three / four losses on the bounce people will be calling for his head!
I agree. For us football/County are a passion. For Flynn it's a job. That is not a criticism, it's a fact.
Morning Brendan. You have just used pure logic. I agree about the job bit. Surely you can see that for MF it is a passion as well. For me, that shines through.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Morning Brendan. You have just used pure logic. I agree about the job bit. Surely you can see that for MF it is a passion as well. For me, that shines through.
Morning Mike,

When Mike Flynn rejoined Newport County as a player, in addition to his wages he demanded and got £1 for every attending supporter. I don't blame him. He has a duty to himself and family. When it comes to cold hard cash, you and me pay it in, Michael Flynn takes it out.

I don't blame him for doing so. But in my view those who are paying money in are the passionate.

Dogger wrote:
Marky wrote:
Dogger wrote:I’m not being disrespectful, but if there is a smaller club than us in League 1, it’s Shrewsbury. Flynny would be mad to leave us for them. Unless I’m mistaken they have amongst the smallest budgets in Lge 1. When MF is at another club, it’s because he decided to move to a bigger (& potentially better) club. Shrewsbury are not that club.
Not disrespectful, just wrong, there are lots of smaller clubs than Shrewsbury in League 1.
Got to disagree Marky , aside from Accy & maybe Fleetwood or Burton, they are definitely one of the smallest clubs in League One. Now obviously they have their own ground & training facilities , but I still think they’ll be relegated this season. Now if they offer to double Flynny’s wages, he has to consider it. However if he waits & gets us into the playoffs or better he’ll get Championship or big league one clubs looking at him.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ttendances

I would imagine Flynny will ask for the advice of Lennie Lawrence in regard to the Shrewsbury job. Lennie’s first job as a manager was at Charlton and he was there for years. Hopefully he will persuade MF that the right thing to do is build a solid reputation at the County and gain maximum experience while doing it. Once MF’s reputation is assured he will have multiple opportunities to manage at a higher level.